[IDV #VMD-708649]: IDV - Sudden failure to run

Hi Michael-

> >> Institution: Bluebird Meteorology
> >> Package Version: 2.0RC3
> >> Operating System: fedora core 5; Linux 2.6.2157 (I think)
> >> Hardware Information: Dual Opteron 248, 500 GB HDD, connected to network
> >> with similar computers
> >> Inquiry: Initially, the new 2.0RC3 installed perfectly on the first try
> >> and ran flawlessly.  I have an nVidia card installed in place of the
> >> onboard ATI Rage on the Tyan motherboard.
> >>
> >> Just as suddenly, IDV hung with a "Could not create a graphics
> >> configuration"  The only event taking place between the successful and
> >> unsuccessful episodes was a yum auto update of Linux to the 2.6.2157
> >> version from 2.6.2145 (or whatever the newest number is!)
> >>
> >> I booted with the previous Linux version, but received the same message.
> >>

> > How are your starting the IDV?  Can you send me the stack trace?  If you
> > are not using the runIDV script, I'm guessing that the path to your Java
> > got changed to the default for Linux which is gnu Java and the IDV is
> > starting
> > pointing to that one instead of the one installed with the IDV.
> >
> > If the IDV starts and just shows the Dashboard or the main window with
> > just the menu, use the Help->About menu and look to see what is
> > listed under the System tab on the dialog that pops up.

> In fact, I'm not even seeing the dashboard.  I've always used runIDV to
> start the app.  It has always run wonderfully on my Windoze platforms
> (98, 2000, now XP), but the Linux platforms are the mainstay of my network.
>
> Your hunch seems reasonable.  I suspect either uninstalling IDV and
> reinstalling it, setting the environmental variable, or moving the path
> to its correct location would probably fix the situation.  I'll give
> those a try, with the reinstallation being the last option.  I will also
> remove all the Java I can find so that I make sure we're starting with a
> clean system.  Is there a particular place where IDV looks for its
> version of Java?  Is that Java 1.4 JRE or is there a newer version used
> by IDV?

Since you don't even get the dashboard, I'm thinking it's something
in your X configuration that is giving fits.  The runIDV script is
in the installation directory and should by default point to the
jre/bin/java directory there for it's Java and Java 3D.

What is your DISPLAY environment variable set to?  Can you send me the
entire printout of the error messages that display when you see the
"Could not create a graphics configuration message"?

> By the way, the new version runs faster, installs more neatly, and has a
> nicer feel to it than even 1.3b2 (that ran on the Windoze box!).  BTW,
> even 1.3b2 never ran on the Linux Fedora platforms, but 2.0CR3 ran just
> fine.

Thanks for the info.  Maybe we'll call it the PF Flyers edition - Runs faster,
Jumps higher. ;-)

Don

Ticket ID: VMD-708649
Department: Support IDV