[IDV #RRO-595092]: can IDV access .gem files?

Hi Bill-

> After the great Unidata workshop last week, I decided to play around with
> IDV on our systems (we've never used it before).  I have lots of archived
> gempak datasets that I use in my lab courses, and I wanted to see if IDV
> could input those.  I see that it gives a huge list of different data
> formats that it is able to handle, but I don't see gempak datasets listed
> anywhere.  Is it correct to assume I can't simply import my .gem files
> into IDV?  I realize the gempak files themselves were derived from grib,
> which IDV does appear able to handle.  However, my datasets span the last
> 10+ years, and I fear if I used a gempak to grib converter, things may not
> work out right because the data are so old.

Currenly we don't read in GEMPAK files.  It's on the potential list of
things to do, but at this point it is not a high priority.  Our focus has been
on raw formats and netCDF, since we have limited resources to throw
at the file format issues.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: RRO-595092
Department: Support IDV