[IDV #WPH-456753]: Adding more datasets to the IDV...

Hi Jacob-

> Hello, I have a question; is it possible to add more datasets to
> the IDV than what is already integrated into the IDV?  For example, I would
> like to see if I could view different models and analyze different displays
> and scientific satellite products for tropical systems in the Atlantic.  I
> love studying tropical systems in the Atlantic and I have found on the
> internet that NASA has come out with a TRMM satellite to view tropical
> rainfall in hurricanes and other tropical systems.  Is it possible to view
> these and other scientific products and models in the IDV?  If so, how could
> I view this type of data in the IDV?  If the IDV cannot view this data; in
> general, is it possible to add other datasets, including models, satellites,
> etc. in the IDV?

It depends on the format of the data.  If it is in a form that the IDV
already handles, it should just be a matter of loading the data.
If it's a new data type, you would need some sort of new DataSource
class to read it in and transform it into the appropriate structure
that the IDV uses.

> Thank you very much for your time, the IDV is awesome and you
> all are doing a terrific job at UNIDATA to provide great weather data.  God
> Bless all you guys at UNIDATA.  Thanks.

If you'd like to try out the latest (unreleased) version, you can
download it at:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idv/release/stable.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: WPH-456753