[IDV #ARQ-382667]: IDV - Making McIDAS Topography images viewable in 3D

Hi Rick-

> Institution: SSEC
> Package Version: 2.0RC1
> Operating System: os.name:Windows XP; os.arch:x86; os.version:5.1;
> Hardware Information: java.vendor:Sun Microsystems Inc.;
> java.version:1.4.2_08; java.home:C:\\Program Files\\IDV_1.3B2\\jre;
> j3d.version:1.3.2 fcs (build12); j3d.vendor:Sun Microsystems, Inc.;
> j3d.renderer:OpenGL;
> Inquiry: I have a 2-Byte topograpy McIDAS AREA file which has RAW values that
> are equal to elevation.  How can I make these viewable in 3D?

Since the IDV doesn't know about the specific calibration of an image, you
need to use a formula to select the image and set the topography display type.

If you have this on an ADDE server, you can use the IDV's Images chooser to
point to your dataset and for the Data Type, select the Elev calibration.  You
probably want to select just the latest image or choose an absolute time.
Click the Add Source button to load it into the Field Selector.  From the
Field Selector, select the Formulas Data Source and from the Fields, select
the System->Any Field formula.  For the Display,  choose the 3D
Display->Topography
display and then click "Create Display".  When the Field Selector pops up,
select
the image from the list and then OK.  That should give you a topographic display
of the image.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: ARQ-382667
Department: Support IDV