[IDV #GUG-824046]: IDV - geopoliticla maps under MSG umbrella

Hi HansPeter-

> The procedure works as described and I thank your for the hints, the one
> about importing McIDAS maps in particular. I have discovered a few
> kinks, however.
>
> 1. Having described in the former email maps as "crude", meant that I
> got only few dashes here and there that lacking continuity altogether. I
> have know discovered the unexpected result when ticking "fast rendering"
> box in Default Background Maps widget - it renders the outlines as you
> would expect. This is happening on both my implementations, XP and Linux.

Fast rendering renders the maps (and other displays) without accounting
for projection seams.  So you gain speed at the expense of accuracy.
With fast rendering turned off, you are more likely to get a complete
display.  This is particularly true when mapping over a satellite projection.

> 2. When saving a display configuration as the default bundle including a
> tick of the "fast rendering" box (see 1) again renders the crude map
> outline only. When inspecting the widget the said box it IS ticked (and
> toggling the tick restores the full outline).

If you are displaying over the satellite projection, you'll probably
not want to use fast rendering.  The speed difference will depend on
the number of lines in the map.  We particularly notice a difference
when plotting the US County outlines, but for most other maps, it
doesn't make too much of a difference.

> 3. There is a a minor inconsistency in my Linux implementation in the
> Default Background Maps widget. The pull-down list of the line types
> show from top to bottom:
> densely-dashed (wrong: is rendered as full line)
> dashed
> dotted
> dotted-dashed
> On XP is correct!

We are using ASCII text to distinguish the various line styles and
on Linux, it doesn't show up as well using the default fonts on Linux.
I'll see if I can play around with the font for the widget to make
it more consistent.

> 4. As you correctly say the maps.xml list gets merged with the system
> defaults at start-up. So, deleting unwanted maps is undone and I just
> have a longer list (with US clutter ;-). Can system defaults be
> influenced by the user?

This is a bug.  If your preferred maps are not showing up at the
top of the list, one solution would be to use the Edit->Maps and Backgrounds->
Add Your Own Map... menu to create a new display control, add in just
the maps you want and save  that as your default maps.  Then, the next
time you start the IDV, at least your maps will be at the top of the
list.  We'll get this fixed for the 2.0 release.  Thanks for pointing
this out.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: GUG-824046
Department: Support IDV