[IDV #GUG-824046]: IDV - geopoliticla maps under MSG umbrella

Hi HansPeter-

> Institution: EUMETSAT
> Package Version: any
> Operating System: any
> Hardware Information: any
> Inquiry: Maps avaible for the areas under the MSG umbrella are relatively
> crude (in particular when comparing to the US related one). While this focus
> is understandable, better maps would certainly foster the use of IDV with
> MSG. I have found no reference on how to handle this task. Would you be so
> kind and give me some information in order to see how this could be handled.

You can easily add your own maps (although it's not in the User's Guide).
From the Default Background Maps control, select the Edit->Add Your Own Map..
menu.  This will bring up a dialog window.  You can add in a McIDAS OUTL
map or a shapefile as a map.  Use the Browse button to find the map
you want on your system.  Alternatively, you can type in a URL to
a map on the web.  You can set the other parameters in the dialog for
the color, the line width, and the line style.  You can add in several
maps by repeating these steps.  You can use the control window to
delete maps you don't want (e.g. US related maps) by clicking on the
trash can icon next to the maps name.

When you are done configuring your list, then you can use the
control's Edit->Save as Default Map Preference menu to set this
as your default.  This will write out a file named maps.xml to
your .metapps/DefaultIdv directory.

Alternatively, you could use the Displays->Maps and Backgrounds
menu and select the "Add Your Own Map..." menu.  This will pop up
the same dialog as in the previous steps.  From that control,
you can add in other maps as needed.  If you chose the Edit->Save as
Default Map Preference, it will write out the maps just from this control
to the maps.xml file.  The next time you start the IDV, it will merge
that list in with the system defaults.

In the next release, you can bundle this up as a plug-in that you can
share with others.

Don Murray

Ticket ID: GUG-824046
Department: Support IDV