[IDV #BYD-582969]: IDV - Out of memory error creating animation

Hi-

> Institution: Arizona State University
> Package Version: 2.0RC3
> Operating System: os.name:Linux; os.arch:i386; os.version:2.6.16-1.2122_FC5;
> Hardware Information: java.vendor:Sun Microsystems Inc.;
> java.version:1.4.2_12; java.home:/home/jnangle/CuPIDO/j2sdk1.4.2_12/jre;
> j3d.version:1.4.0_01 fcs+patch (build12); j3d.vendor:Sun Microsystems, Inc.;
> j3d.renderer:OpenGL;
> Inquiry: Good morning,
>
> I received the following error while adding fields to an animation.  I'm
> using data from
> two wrf files to create isosurface displays of various water mixing ratios.
>
> I can create a 4-frame animation from all of the data I want, but I get this
> message
> if I try to create an 8-frame animation.  The individual frames come from the
> times
> in the wrf data.

How big is your WRF grid (rows, columns)?  Is this a staggered grid?  The
staggering uses twice as much memory as an unstaggered, normalized grid.
There is a problem with the contouring algorithm in this release that
uses a lot of memory for very fine grids.

How much memory does your machine have?  If you have more than 1Gb on
the system, you can increase the amount of memory that the IDV uses
when it starts.  In the runIDV script, change -Xmx512m to -Xmx1024m.

Also, if you are displaying the data in the native grid projection, you
can benefit by turning on Fast Rendering.  Use the Edit->Preferences
dialog to change this setting.

Lastly, you can try decimating your grid either on a display by display
basis (use the Spatial Subset tab in the Field Selector) or for the
entire dataset (double click on the Data Source in the Field Selector
and use the Spatial Subset tab there to subset the entire dataset).

All in all, is sounds like your grid is more than the IDV can handle
by default, hence you run out of memory.

Don Murray

> An error has occurred:
> ControlDescriptor.Creating display
> java.lang.OutOfMemoryError