[IDV #NIW-567626]: Error report failure?

Hi Dave-

> I just tried to send an error report via IDV v1.3b1 (Mac OS X) and
> what popped up when I sent it was a window with some sort of error
> report about the attempt to send the error report. I caught the
> following in the window before I lost it:
>
> var ace_path = '/acemenu/';   Data     Tools     Community
> Downloads     Support     Projects     About Us        My Account

Thanks for letting us know about this.  We're looking into it.

> In case the error report didn't get sent properly,

It didn't. :-(

>I'll reproduce
> some of it here:
>
> I downloaded some tarred, archived Level II radar data from NCDC's
> HDSS Access System That interface is at
>
> http://hurricane.ncdc.noaa.gov/pls/plhas/HAS.FileAppSelect?
> datasetname=6500
>
> I then untarred a file, giving me a slew of compressed *.Z files. I
> uncompressed one of them ("uncompress filename.Z"). Then I tried to
> read the uncompressed file using the IDV, specifying the Data Source
> Type as default (apparently a vis5D format), but IDV couldn't read
> it. The error message reads:
>
> An error has occurred: There was an error loading the
> data: Failed to open    /data/cases/jm/040522_nebraska_trndos/
> KOAX/KOAX20040522_160213
> Data object "/data/cases/jm/040522_nebraska_trndos/KOAX/
> KOAX20040522_160213"
> not compatible with "VisADDataSource" data family

Instead of using the File chooser, use the Radar->Level II chooser.
That will allow you to specify a station for the files (since they
don't contain geolocation information) and handles the level II
format.

> I tried a couple of other Data Source Types. The results:
>
> Netcdf radar sweep files:
> An error has occurred: Netcdf sweep error:init
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>
> DORADE radar files:
> An error has occurred: There was an error loading the
> data: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
>
> The data loaded successfully when I specified data source type as
> "Netcdf point data files", but this shouldn't be point data, and not
> surprisingly creating a displayed produced this error:
>
> An error has occurred: Creating obs Unable to make
> a PointObsDataset from    /data/cases/jm/040522_nebraska_trndos/
> KOAX/KOAX20040522_160213
> Error = Cant find a Point/Station adapter for    /data/cases/jm/
> 040522_nebraska_trndos/KOAX/KOAX20040522_160213
>
> For the sake of completeness, I specified the data source type to be
> a grid file, which also loaded without complaint , but the field
> selector window showed no fields present in the file, giving me no
> opportunity to do anything with the data that might generate an error
> message.
>
> I don't know where to proceed from here.
>
> The uncompressed file is accessible at http://virga.sfsu.edu/cases/jm/
> 040522_nebraska_trndos/ KOAX/KOAX20040522_160213
>
> A compressed version (along with lots of other compressed files and
> the original, very large tar file) is available in the same directory.

Well, you certainly tried all the options in the file chooser, so kudos
for that!  And uncompressing the files is also necessary (for now). You
should just need to use the Level II data chooser.

For more info on other Level II issues, see:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/IDV/docs/userguide/Faq.html#faq1_cat4_18

Ticket ID: NIW-567626
Department: Support IDV