20031217: IDV - Redhat 9.0 factory installed; 2.4.20-8 kernel - Exception displaying NEXTRAD data

>From: "Jeff Harris" <address@hidden>

Jeff-

>Institution: UGA   (SREL)
>Package Version: 1.0.1
>Operating System: Redhat 9.0 factory installed; 2.4.20-8 kernel
>Hardware Information: Dell Dimension 310; 2.4GHz; 1.5GB RAM; 60GB HD
>Inquiry: I'm having problems trying to display RTNEXRAD, NEXRCOMP, and NEXTRAD
>  data in IDV.  Upon opening the radar data tab and selecting any server and R
> TNEXRAD, I get the error "An exception has occured. Error reading dataset inf
> o.sun.io.Malformed Input Exception.  All servers produce this error except fo
> r stratus.al.noaa.gov which produces the error "An exception has occured. Err
> or Opeing connection: java.io.EOF Exception."
>
>The same errors come up when trying to pull NEXRCOMP dataset from the Image Da
> ta tab.

I've not seen these exact messages before, but one thing to make
sure is that ports 500 and 503 are open on your firewall.  The remote
access through ADDE needs these ports open.

>I've also been pulling level II radar data from cacimbo.ggy.uga.edu, but have
> not been able to display it in IDV.  Choose the File tab and select the local
>  image file, I get an error "An exception has occured Creating obs null."

For Level II data, you should open these using the "Level II Radar data"
tab under the "Radar Data" tab to open up these files.  Opening
with the straight File chooser will allow you to provide the appropriate
station information.  Howeve, I tried this and I didn't get the error
message you are showing.  What is the name of the file you are trying
to open?

I would suggest upgrading to the IDV 1.1beta 2 which has better handling
of Level II data.  You would open it the same way (through the Level II
chooser).

>Any suggestions?

Make sure your firewall is not blocking ports 500 and 503 and try
upgrading to the latest (1.1b2) version.  That's the version we
used in the workshop.

Don Murray