20031008: IDV and RedHat 7.3

Donna,

Getting closer to the solution about
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0"

John Stokes here set up the X windows system server for our Linux
machines. He says when using hardware 3D acceleration - part of the
Nvidia card - you need the Nvidia driver to work with OpenGL.

To see if you have an Nvidia card
in /var/log
grep NVIDIA  XFree86.0.log

I get
Device "NVIDIA GeForce 4 (generic)
and a lot of other information, ending with
which may be the driver described next.

To get the Nvidia driver, which includes it appears GLX, go to
and choose Graphics Drivers->GeForce->Linux IA32 (Intel architecture 32
bit)->Go
and follow the instructions to install it. That is what was done on our
systems.

We also have in the file /ext/X11/XF86Config-4

Section "Module"
#       Load  "GLcore"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load "fbdevhw"
#       Load "dri"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "freetype"
        Load  "type1"
EndSection

note GLcore and dri are commented out. DRI is software 3D graphics
acceleration used when you do not have the Nvidia card set up as
described. John says we are not using Mesa (or DRI obviously).

Stu

>From: Donna Tucker <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20030724: idv and RedHat 7.3

Unidata User Support                                    UCAR Unidata
Program
303 497 8643                                                  P.O. Box
3000
address@hidden                                   Boulder, CO
80307
Unidata WWW Service