[IDD #EBJ-284125]: LDM Feed Request

Hi Shawn,

re:
> Site Name: NCAR, Atmospheric Chemistry Division (ACD)
>
> Admin:
> Name: Shawn Honomichl
> Ph#:    (303) 497-8194
> Email:  address@hidden
>
> Hostname: modeling2.acd.ucar.edu

Very good.  We verified that there is forward and reverse DNS
for this machine.  This is the first step in setting up ALLOWs
for a user making REQUESTs.

re:
> Desired feeds:
> DDPLUS/IDS
> UNIWISC
> PCWS
> HDS
> CONDUIT
> FNEXRAD
> NIMAGE
> NGRID
> NEXRAD3
> NEXRAD2
> FSL2

OK.  All of these datastreams are available to you from the Unidata-operated
toplevel IDD relay cluster, idd.unidata.ucar.edu.

When you get around to setting up the REQUESTs in your ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf
file, you should combine several of these feeds, and possibly split
others.  For instance:

IDS|DDPLUS|HDS == WMO
WMO|UNIWISC    == UNIDATA

Given this, and since these feeds are not very in volume, an appropriate
~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf REQUEST line would be:

REQUEST UNIDATA ".*" idd.unidata.ucar.edu

The feeds that may need splitting (meaning more than one ~ldm/etc/ldmc.conf
REQUEST line for the feed such that each REQUEST is a mutually-exclusive
subset of the feed) are CONDUIT and NEXRAD2.  We can guide you on splitting
feed REQUESTs when you get to that point and if needed.

re:
> LIGHTNING

LIGHTNING data (both NLDN and USPLN) are only distributed point-to-point
from the sites originating the datastreams.  Please refer to the
Lightning pages on the Unidata website for information for who you
need to contact to get the NLDN and/or USPLN data:

Unidata HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

  Data -> Lightning Data
  https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/index.html#lightning

re:
PCWS and LIGHTNING

NB: you are _NOT_ allowed to relay these datastreams to anyone else
outside of UCAR/NCAR.  This includes organizations that you/ACD may be
have collaborations with.  You are also not allowed to make displays
of the data available outside of UCAR/NCAR.  Violation of these
restrictions can place in jeopardy the ability for any/all Unidata
university sites to continue getting the data for free!

re:
> FSL3,FSL4,FSL5? - I see many people have this feed, but I'm not sure
> what these are exactly.

I would suggest that if you don't know what is in a datastream, that
it would be a good idea to see if you want the data before setting
up feed REQUEST(s) for it/them.  There are two reasons for this:

- the combined volume in the datastreams you have listed above
  averages between 13 and 16 GB/hr

- the FSL[345] feeds come from NOAA/GSD; they are not relayed in the
  IDD

re:
> The UCAR COSMIC folks have also told me that they have a feed for
> realtime COSMIC GPS data.?.

Yes.  A good fraction (but not all) of the COSMIC data is available
in the EXP feed type from the Unidata toplevel IDD relay cluster,
idd.unidata.ucar.edu.  The ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf REQUEST line that
would get the COSMIC data that is relayed is:

REQUEST EXP "cosmicrt" idd.unidata.ucar.edu

Ticket ID: EBJ-284125
Department: Support IDD