[Datastream #HUL-236448]: Decoded Surface Synoptic NetCDF File Source?

Greetings,

> I noticed today that
> [ https://motherlode.ucar.edu/decoded/netcdf/surface/synoptic/ |
> https://motherlode.ucar.edu/decoded/netcdf/surface/synoptic/ ] is empty

Thank you for pointing this out.  After looking into this these products
haven't been generated in some time.  The library used for them, netCDF-Perl,
has been discontinued and is no longer supported.

> Is this data available from another location?

Probably, though it might depend on what your specific needs are.  Surface data
comes in a variety of formats and there are a number of ways to retrieve that
data.  Were you looking for direct observations / point data, a gridded data
set, or something else?  Do you have a preferred tool or method for retrieving
this data?  If you have specific needs we can probably narrow this down.

Question:  Were you hoping to use this data in particular?  While the
netCDF-Perl library is deprecated we could restore these products another way,
but that would take some time for us to build.  We are not aware of any real
desire for these to come back, so we are not inclined to spend that development
time right now.  But if there is a need for them to return we can make that
happen, though I cannot say how long that would take for us to accomplish.

Best,
-Mike

Ticket ID: HUL-236448
Department: Support Datastream