[AWIPS #TAT-446218]: Conflicting Information on License

>Dear Unidata,
>
>We were considering using the AWIPS software package for our needs.
>
>We are a new small-business, long-endurance, solar-powered airplane
>company. As such, we have extensive weather monitoring requirements. AWIPS
>looks like a very good workstation for us to try to use. However,
>the use and licensing wording on your web page is not clear:
>
>AWIPS (Advanced Weather Interactive Processing System) is a
>meteorological display and analysis package originally developed by
>the National Weather Service<http://www.nws.noaa.gov/ost/SEC/AE/>
>and Raytheon<http://www.raytheon.com/capabilities/products/awips/>,
>modified and repackaged by Unidata to support non-operational
>use in research and education by UCAR member institutions
><http://president.ucar.edu/governance/members/universities-representatives>.
>
>Unidata AWIPS source code and binaries (RPMs) are considered to
>be in the public domain, meaning there are no restrictions on
>any download, modification, or distribution in any form (original
>or modified). Unidata AWIPS contains no proprietary content and
>is therefore not subject to export controls as stated in the Master
>Rights
><https://github.com/Unidata/awips2/blob/unidata_18.1.1/rpms/legal/Master_Rights_File.pdf>
>licensing file.
>
>We are not a weather information company and do not have intent to build
>a commercial product from the software.
>
>Are we allowed to use AWIPS for our concerns? Is there some kind of
>release letter or process we must follow to use AWIPS for our operations?

Hi,

You are free to use the AWIPS software provided by Unidata for your private
company without any further documentation.

Unidata data feeds and software are considered non-operational so if there is
an outage, there is not a guarantee it will be fixed immediately. We have
documentation on how to install and setup an AWIPS system our website and can
provide some support, but please note that the our primary time is dedicated to
supporting non-operational University and research entities.

Thanks,

Tiffany Meyer
AWIPS Lead Software Engineer
UCAR-Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive: https://forms.gle/tKG5SY9YJw4vBRVXA

Ticket ID: TAT-446218
Department: Support AWIPS