[AWIPS #ZLW-379879]: AWIPS II Assistance

>Thanks for calling me back yesterday morning, Tiffany. To finally find some
>one who understands the complexities of EDEX is a Christmas miracle, and we
>look forward to working with your group for future projects. As mentioned
>yesterday, I am running NWS version 19.3.1 of EDEX / CAVE (using SBN along
>with a connection to Conduit) within our Emergency Operations Center. My IT
>Technician and I are continually fighting bugs and issues with our servers.

>Some of the issues we have encountered include missing or not decoding MRMS
>products.

A caveat, not all entries in the MRMS Menu have data flowing via SBN so there
will be some menu items that are blank. The current MRMS prodcuts are being
sent via SBN are going to be changing at the end of February because the SBN is
over-crowded(some information is listed here
https://www.weather.gov/media/notification/pdf2/scn21-17mrms_v12_1.pdf). At
that time (or now) to get the full suite of products you can request them from
NCEP (https://www.nssl.noaa.gov/projects/mrms/MRMS_data.php). I looked through
the edex-ingestGrib-YYYYMMDD logs and I don't see any MRMS data that are
failing to decode, so you are ingesting everything currently being sent. I
didn't see any restarts of ingestGrib in todays log, but I did notice the
warning about "large grib file using many grid points". This happens with the
velocity based MRMS prodcuts because they are .5km x .5km resolution (instead
of 1km x 1km) so more grid points than the rest. I see that you removed the
MRMS subgridding, but I
  think we can add that back in, but modify it for a larger domain than just
WFO scale. Could you provide me with the lat/lon grids of the size of the box
you want MRMS data for and I can update the subgrid file? If you do really want
CONUS wide there are a few more updates we can make on your EDEX machine to
ingest bigger grib files (mainly in this file:
/awips2/edex/conf/resources/com.raytheon.edex.plugin.grib.properties).

>It appears that my LIX localization file is prohibiting certain products from
>working as the products will display on Mr. W's server us ing his BOX
>localization.

Please let me know of any other products besides those that have been listed
below.

>Several models will not show or have missing products (gfs0p25 doesn't plot,
>certain vorticity products will not display).

Okay, I see that your AWIPS is ingesting the gfs0p25. Do you have menu options
to load it in the Grid menu or Volume Browser?
If you want it to be an option in your volume browser you can edit:
/awips2/edex/data/utility/cave_static/site/LIX/volumebrowser/VbSources/volume.xml
 and add
<vbSource key="GFS0p25" category="Volume" />

Last June the vertical velocity parameter changed for GFS
(https://www.weather.gov/media/notification/scn20-48gfs_noaaport.pdf). Changes
in your menus need to be made for GFS. Since the menu files are located on your
CAVE workstations, I can't see the files, but where the variable PVV is
referenced, it needs to be replaced with GVV (but just for GFS model
references). You could do a site override.

>We are receiving ECMWF data, but apparently, our decoder doesn't work.

I'm not sure where you are getting this model, I don't see it being stored in
/data_store and I know we aren't seeing it coming from CONDUIT or NOAAPort. I
also haven't ever seen the ECMWF in AWIPS before. I would need to look at your
pqact.conf file and also verify you are receiving the data. You would then:

-Possibly need to add some ingest configurations
-Need to add new menu entries

>I also have a paid subscription to the NLDN but have not been able to display
>the data in over six months due to not being able to have the correct decoder.

You mentioned you had a feed of the asccii data? I don't think AWIPS is coded
up to read that data. It looks like there are some lightning decoders in a
tarball on your awips2-edex:/usr/local/ldm/binlightningdec.tar However, I can't
confirm if those are the new decoders. If they are the correct decoders you
could use those with the lightning data coming over NOAAPort. Another option is
to ask Vaisala/NLDN to send you the non-encrypted binary data because that feed
will ingest into AWIPS without the decoders.

>We believe that my localization file is also limiting the domain size of the
>HRRR and other GFS products.
So if you look in
/awips2/edex/data/utility/common_static/site/LIX/grib/subgrids you can see for
a few models you have some subgridding. I don't see any HRRR or GFS clips
though, but I there is one in
/awips2/edex/data/utility/common_static/base/grib/subgrids. I can't remember if
you need to remove that as well?

>I am hopeful that you can help and guide us in fixing these errors. We have
>been trying to resolve these issues for the last eight months with little or
>no NWS assistance. Please let me know if you have any questions or need
>further information. Mr. W can also provide you with login credentials to our
>servers if you would like to check files or settings.

I'm sure I will be hearing from you! Good luck.

Thanks,

Tiffany Meyer
AWIPS Lead Software Engineer
UCAR-Unidata

If you're interested, please feel free to fill out a survey about the support
you receive: https://forms.gle/tKG5SY9YJw4vBRVXA

Ticket ID: ZLW-379879
Department: Support AWIPS