[UDUNITS #BAC-946054]: UDUnits -- trying to find a list of valid units and prefixes

Tom,

> If I read section 7.10.3 correctly, then I really should say something like:
> 1e-6 dobson / dobson  (or: 1e-6 mole/mole  or  1e-6g/g  or....)
> for ozone concentration.

Any of those would work because they all result in the dimensionless unit
"1e-6".

> The word I have from our scientists who deal with indirect
> meassurements is that "ppm" is in very widespread use, and is likely
> to show up in files, charts, publications, etc.  I'm wondering if we
> should not considering embracing this, just as we did "dobson"?

I can easily add it to the UDUNITS-2 database.

Should "ppm" be a name or a symbol? Name comparisons are case insensitive
whereas symbol comparisons are case sensitive -- so "PPM" would be allowed if
"ppm" were a name but not if it were a symbol.

Once that's decided, then I can also add "ppb".

> Thanks for consideration...
>
> tom
>
> --
> Tom Whittaker
> University of Wisconsin-Madison
> Space Science & Engineering Center (SSEC)
> Cooperative Institute for Meteorological Satellite Studies (CIMSS)
> 1225 W. Dayton Street
> Madison, WIÂ 53706Â USA
> ph: +1 608 262 2759

Ticket ID: BAC-946054