[UDUNITS #BAC-946054]: UDUnits -- trying to find a list of valid units and prefixes

Tom,

> What I've learned is that XML and our scientists here do not mix well
> together....and if I'm ever going to get them to comply with
> conventions, it is imperative that they not only have easy access, but
> it needs to be easy to read.

Sounds familiar.

> In my searching, I did find some correspondence between you and
> someone where you recommended using something like "1 / litre";
> unfortunately, ppmv is more like a percentage, since the "v"(olume)
> part is not specified...not sure what to do about this -- I'll talk to
> the people here a bit more.

For "ppmv" I'd use the unit "1e-6". It's a perfectly valid dimensionless unit.

According to the NIST, units shouldn't have attributes that are specific to the
physical quantity being described (like "volume"). See section 7.5 at
<http://physics.nist.gov/Pubs/SP811/sec07.html> for more information.

> > If you have access to a UDUNITS-2 installation, then you can execute the
> > following command to list the available units:
>
> Unfortunately, I don't.  I downloaded the package, but there is no way
> on my Windoz machine that I can install it without putting a lot of
> other "stuff" on there that would mean too much red tape...but thanks!

> > I suppose a better way to do this would be to have our web-server
> > dynamically convert the XML files into web pages using XSLT. Jen, can this
> > be done?
>
> I agree -- but if it's a list that does not change much, I'd be happy
> with just one page, perhaps updated when you release an update, with a
> link off the UDUNITS page....

In the meantime, I've attached the output of that command.

> Hope the "big move" is going well for you all....

Tomorrow and Monday are the Big Days.

> Best wishes,
>
> tom
>
> --
> Tom Whittaker
> University of Wisconsin-Madison
> Space Science & Engineering Center (SSEC)
> Cooperative Institute for Meteorological Satellite Studies (CIMSS)
> 1225 W. Dayton Street
> Madison, WIÂ 53706Â USA
> ph: +1 608 262 2759

Ticket ID: BAC-946054
Department: Support UDUNITS
udunits2-accepted.xml:            minute
udunits2-accepted.xml:            min
udunits2-accepted.xml:            hour
udunits2-accepted.xml:            h
udunits2-accepted.xml:             hr
udunits2-accepted.xml:            day
udunits2-accepted.xml:            d
udunits2-accepted.xml:                pi
udunits2-accepted.xml:                &#x3c0;
udunits2-accepted.xml:            arc_degree
udunits2-accepted.xml:            &#xB0;
udunits2-accepted.xml:                angular_degree
udunits2-accepted.xml:                degree
udunits2-accepted.xml:                arcdeg
udunits2-accepted.xml:            arc_minute
udunits2-accepted.xml:            '
udunits2-accepted.xml:            &#x2032;
udunits2-accepted.xml:                angular_minute
udunits2-accepted.xml:                arcminute
udunits2-accepted.xml:                arcmin
udunits2-accepted.xml:            arc_second
udunits2-accepted.xml:            "
udunits2-accepted.xml:            &#x2033;
udunits2-accepted.xml:                angular_second
udunits2-accepted.xml:                arcsecond
udunits2-accepted.xml:                arcsec
udunits2-accepted.xml:            liter
udunits2-accepted.xml:            L
udunits2-accepted.xml:                litre
udunits2-accepted.xml:                l
udunits2-accepted.xml:            metric_ton
udunits2-accepted.xml:            t
udunits2-accepted.xml:             tonne
udunits2-accepted.xml:            electronvolt
udunits2-accepted.xml:            eV
udunits2-accepted.xml:                electron_volt
udunits2-accepted.xml:            unified_atomic_mass_unit
udunits2-accepted.xml:            u
udunits2-accepted.xml:                 atomic_mass_unit
udunits2-accepted.xml:                 atomicmassunit
udunits2-accepted.xml:                 amu
udunits2-accepted.xml:                astronomical_unit
udunits2-accepted.xml:                ua
udunits2-accepted.xml:         and  elements appear only within . -->
udunits2-accepted.xml:                nautical_mile
udunits2-accepted.xml:                international_knot
udunits2-accepted.xml:                knot_international
udunits2-accepted.xml:                knot
udunits2-accepted.xml:                angstrom
udunits2-accepted.xml:                &#xE5;ngstr&#xF6;m
udunits2-accepted.xml:                &#xC5;         <!-- LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A
udunits2-accepted.xml:                &#x212B;
udunits2-accepted.xml:                are
udunits2-accepted.xml:                a
udunits2-accepted.xml:             hectare
udunits2-accepted.xml:                barn
udunits2-accepted.xml:                b
udunits2-accepted.xml:                bar
udunits2-accepted.xml:                gal
udunits2-accepted.xml:                curie
udunits2-accepted.xml:                Ci
udunits2-accepted.xml:                roentgen
udunits2-accepted.xml:                R
udunits2-accepted.xml:             rad
udunits2-accepted.xml:                rem
udunits2-base.xml:        meter
udunits2-base.xml:        m
udunits2-base.xml:         metre
udunits2-base.xml:        kilogram
udunits2-base.xml:        kg
udunits2-base.xml:        second
udunits2-base.xml:        s
udunits2-base.xml:        ampere
udunits2-base.xml:        A
udunits2-base.xml:        kelvin
udunits2-base.xml:        K
udunits2-base.xml:        mole
udunits2-base.xml:        mol
udunits2-base.xml:        candela
udunits2-base.xml:        cd
udunits2-common.xml:Units not accepted for use with the SI.  NB:  and
udunits2-common.xml:              sec
udunits2-common.xml:              amp
udunits2-common.xml:                &#xB0;K
udunits2-common.xml:                    degree_kelvin
udunits2-common.xml:                    degree_K
udunits2-common.xml:                    degreeK
udunits2-common.xml:                    deg_K
udunits2-common.xml:                    degK
udunits2-common.xml:              candle
udunits2-common.xml:              einstein
udunits2-common.xml:                 baud
udunits2-common.xml:                Bd
udunits2-common.xml:                bps
udunits2-common.xml:                &#x2103;
udunits2-common.xml:                 celsius
udunits2-common.xml:                    degree_C
udunits2-common.xml:                    degreeC
udunits2-common.xml:                    deg_C
udunits2-common.xml:                    degC
udunits2-common.xml:                kt
udunits2-common.xml:                kts
udunits2-common.xml:                avogadro_constant
udunits2-common.xml:                percent
udunits2-common.xml:                %
udunits2-common.xml:             grade
udunits2-common.xml:                circle
udunits2-common.xml:                cycle
udunits2-common.xml:                turn
udunits2-common.xml:                revolution
udunits2-common.xml:                rotation
udunits2-common.xml:                    degree_north
udunits2-common.xml:                    degree_N
udunits2-common.xml:                    degreeN
udunits2-common.xml:                    degree_east
udunits2-common.xml:                    degree_E
udunits2-common.xml:                    degreeE
udunits2-common.xml:                    degree_true
udunits2-common.xml:                    degree_T
udunits2-common.xml:                    degreeT
udunits2-common.xml:                    degree_west
udunits2-common.xml:                    degree_W
udunits2-common.xml:                    degreeW
udunits2-common.xml:                 assay_ton
udunits2-common.xml:                 avoirdupois_ounce
udunits2-common.xml:                 avoirdupois_pound
udunits2-common.xml:                 pound
udunits2-common.xml:                lb
udunits2-common.xml:                 carat
udunits2-common.xml:                 grain
udunits2-common.xml:                gr
udunits2-common.xml:                 long_hundredweight
udunits2-common.xml:                 pennyweight
udunits2-common.xml:                 short_hundredweight
udunits2-common.xml:                 slug
udunits2-common.xml:                 troy_ounce
udunits2-common.xml:                 apothecary_ounce
udunits2-common.xml:                 troy_pound
udunits2-common.xml:                 apothecary_pound
udunits2-common.xml:              scruple
udunits2-common.xml:              apdram
udunits2-common.xml:              apounce
udunits2-common.xml:              appound
udunits2-common.xml:              bag
udunits2-common.xml:                 short_ton
udunits2-common.xml:                 ton
udunits2-common.xml:                 long_ton
udunits2-common.xml:                 fermi
udunits2-common.xml:                 light_year
udunits2-common.xml:                 micron
udunits2-common.xml:                 mil
udunits2-common.xml:                 parsec
udunits2-common.xml:                 printers_point
udunits2-common.xml:                 chain
udunits2-common.xml:                 printers_pica
udunits2-common.xml:                 pica
udunits2-common.xml:                 nmile
udunits2-common.xml:                    US_survey_foot
udunits2-common.xml:                 US_survey_yard
udunits2-common.xml:                 US_survey_mile
udunits2-common.xml:                 US_statute_mile
udunits2-common.xml:                 rod
udunits2-common.xml:                 pole
udunits2-common.xml:                 perch
udunits2-common.xml:              furlong
udunits2-common.xml:              fathom
udunits2-common.xml:                 international_inch
udunits2-common.xml:                 inch
udunits2-common.xml:                in
udunits2-common.xml:                    international_foot
udunits2-common.xml:                    foot
udunits2-common.xml:                ft
udunits2-common.xml:                 international_yard
udunits2-common.xml:                 yard
udunits2-common.xml:                yd
udunits2-common.xml:                 international_mile
udunits2-common.xml:                 mile
udunits2-common.xml:                mi
udunits2-common.xml:                 big_point
udunits2-common.xml:                 barleycorn
udunits2-common.xml:                 arpentlin
udunits2-common.xml:                    rotation_per_second
udunits2-common.xml:                rps
udunits2-common.xml:                cps
udunits2-common.xml:             rpm
udunits2-common.xml:                 denier
udunits2-common.xml:                 tex
udunits2-common.xml:                    perm_0C
udunits2-common.xml:                    perm_23C
udunits2-common.xml:                 circular_mil
udunits2-common.xml:              darcy
udunits2-common.xml:                 acre
udunits2-common.xml:                    acre_foot
udunits2-common.xml:                    board_foot
udunits2-common.xml:                 bushel
udunits2-common.xml:                bu
udunits2-common.xml:                 peck
udunits2-common.xml:                pk
udunits2-common.xml:                 Canadian_liquid_gallon
udunits2-common.xml:                 US_dry_gallon
udunits2-common.xml:             cc
udunits2-common.xml:                 stere
udunits2-common.xml:                 register_ton
udunits2-common.xml:                 US_dry_quart
udunits2-common.xml:                 dry_quart
udunits2-common.xml:                 US_dry_pint
udunits2-common.xml:                 dry_pint
udunits2-common.xml:                 US_liquid_gallon
udunits2-common.xml:                 liquid_gallon
udunits2-common.xml:                 gallon
udunits2-common.xml:                 barrel
udunits2-common.xml:                bbl
udunits2-common.xml:                 firkin
udunits2-common.xml:                 US_liquid_quart
udunits2-common.xml:                 liquid_quart
udunits2-common.xml:                 quart
udunits2-common.xml:                 US_liquid_pint
udunits2-common.xml:                 liquid_pint
udunits2-common.xml:                 pint
udunits2-common.xml:                pt
udunits2-common.xml:                 US_liquid_cup
udunits2-common.xml:                 liquid_cup
udunits2-common.xml:                 cup
udunits2-common.xml:                 US_liquid_gill
udunits2-common.xml:                 liquid_gill
udunits2-common.xml:                 gill
udunits2-common.xml:                 US_fluid_ounce
udunits2-common.xml:                 US_liquid_ounce
udunits2-common.xml:                 fluid_ounce
udunits2-common.xml:                 liquid_ounce
udunits2-common.xml:                oz
udunits2-common.xml:                floz
udunits2-common.xml:                 tablespoon
udunits2-common.xml:                Tbl
udunits2-common.xml:                Tbsp
udunits2-common.xml:                tbsp
udunits2-common.xml:                Tblsp
udunits2-common.xml:                tblsp
udunits2-common.xml:             fldr
udunits2-common.xml:                 dram
udunits2-common.xml:                dr
udunits2-common.xml:                 teaspoon
udunits2-common.xml:                tsp
udunits2-common.xml:                 UK_liquid_gallon
udunits2-common.xml:                 UK_liquid_quart
udunits2-common.xml:                 UK_liquid_pint
udunits2-common.xml:                 UK_liquid_cup
udunits2-common.xml:                 UK_liquid_gill
udunits2-common.xml:                 UK_fluid_ounce
udunits2-common.xml:                 UK_liquid_ounce
udunits2-common.xml:             BZ
udunits2-common.xml:              shake
udunits2-common.xml:                 sidereal_day
udunits2-common.xml:                 sidereal_hour
udunits2-common.xml:                 sidereal_minute
udunits2-common.xml:                 sidereal_second
udunits2-common.xml:                 sidereal_year
udunits2-common.xml:                 tropical_year
udunits2-common.xml:                 year
udunits2-common.xml:                a
udunits2-common.xml:                yr
udunits2-common.xml:                 lunar_month
udunits2-common.xml:                 common_year
udunits2-common.xml:                 leap_year
udunits2-common.xml:                 Julian_year
udunits2-common.xml:                 Gregorian_year
udunits2-common.xml:                 sidereal_month
udunits2-common.xml:                 tropical_month
udunits2-common.xml:                 fortnight
udunits2-common.xml:              week
udunits2-common.xml:              jiffy
udunits2-common.xml:              eon
udunits2-common.xml:              month
udunits2-common.xml:                 sverdrup
udunits2-common.xml:                Sv
udunits2-common.xml:                 standard_free_fall
udunits2-common.xml:              gravity
udunits2-common.xml:                 conventional_water
udunits2-common.xml:                 water
udunits2-common.xml:                H2O
udunits2-common.xml:                h2o
udunits2-common.xml:                    water_4C
udunits2-common.xml:                    water_39F
udunits2-common.xml:                    water_60F
udunits2-common.xml:                    mercury_0C
udunits2-common.xml:                    mercury_32F
udunits2-common.xml:                    conventional_mercury
udunits2-common.xml:                Hg
udunits2-common.xml:                    mercury_60F
udunits2-common.xml:              force
udunits2-common.xml:              dyne
udunits2-common.xml:              pond
udunits2-common.xml:                 force_kilogram
udunits2-common.xml:                    kilogram_force
udunits2-common.xml:                kgf
udunits2-common.xml:                 force_ounce
udunits2-common.xml:                    ounce_force
udunits2-common.xml:                ozf
udunits2-common.xml:                 force_pound
udunits2-common.xml:                    pound_force
udunits2-common.xml:                lbf
udunits2-common.xml:                 poundal
udunits2-common.xml:                    gram_force
udunits2-common.xml:                    force_gram
udunits2-common.xml:                gf
udunits2-common.xml:                 force_ton
udunits2-common.xml:                    ton_force
udunits2-common.xml:             kip
udunits2-common.xml:                 standard_atmosphere
udunits2-common.xml:                 atmosphere
udunits2-common.xml:                atm
udunits2-common.xml:                 technical_atmosphere
udunits2-common.xml:                at
udunits2-common.xml:                cm_H2O
udunits2-common.xml:                cmH2O
udunits2-common.xml:                    inch_H2O_39F
udunits2-common.xml:                    inch_H2O_60F
udunits2-common.xml:                    foot_water
udunits2-common.xml:                    foot_H2O
udunits2-common.xml:                    footH2O
udunits2-common.xml:                ftH2O
udunits2-common.xml:                fth2o
udunits2-common.xml:                cm_Hg
udunits2-common.xml:                cmHg
udunits2-common.xml:                    millimeter_Hg_0C
udunits2-common.xml:                    inch_Hg_32F
udunits2-common.xml:                    inch_Hg_60F
udunits2-common.xml:                    millimeter_Hg
udunits2-common.xml:                 torr
udunits2-common.xml:                mm_Hg
udunits2-common.xml:                mm_hg
udunits2-common.xml:                mmHg
udunits2-common.xml:                mmhg
udunits2-common.xml:                    inch_Hg
udunits2-common.xml:                in_Hg
udunits2-common.xml:                inHg
udunits2-common.xml:             psi
udunits2-common.xml:             ksi
udunits2-common.xml:                 barie
udunits2-common.xml:                 barye
udunits2-common.xml:             B_SPL
udunits2-common.xml:                 poise
udunits2-common.xml:                 stokes
udunits2-common.xml:                St
udunits2-common.xml:              rhe
udunits2-common.xml:              erg
udunits2-common.xml:                    IT_Btu
udunits2-common.xml:                    Btu
udunits2-common.xml:                 EC_therm
udunits2-common.xml:                 thermochemical_calorie
udunits2-common.xml:                 IT_calorie
udunits2-common.xml:                 calorie
udunits2-common.xml:                cal
udunits2-common.xml:                 TNT
udunits2-common.xml:                    ton_TNT
udunits2-common.xml:                 US_therm
udunits2-common.xml:                 therm
udunits2-common.xml:                thm
udunits2-common.xml:                 watthour
udunits2-common.xml:             bev
udunits2-common.xml:                 voltampere
udunits2-common.xml:                VA
udunits2-common.xml:                 boiler_horsepower
udunits2-common.xml:                 shaft_horsepower
udunits2-common.xml:                 horsepower
udunits2-common.xml:                hp
udunits2-common.xml:                 metric_horsepower
udunits2-common.xml:                 electric_horsepower
udunits2-common.xml:                 water_horsepower
udunits2-common.xml:                 UK_horsepower
udunits2-common.xml:                 refrigeration_ton
udunits2-common.xml:                    ton_of_refrigeration
udunits2-common.xml:             BW
udunits2-common.xml:             Bm
udunits2-common.xml:              clo
udunits2-common.xml:             abampere
udunits2-common.xml:             gilbert
udunits2-common.xml:                statampere
udunits2-common.xml:             biot
udunits2-common.xml:              abfarad
udunits2-common.xml:                 abhenry
udunits2-common.xml:              abmho
udunits2-common.xml:              abohm
udunits2-common.xml:              abvolt
udunits2-common.xml:             e
udunits2-common.xml:                 chemical_faraday
udunits2-common.xml:                 physical_faraday
udunits2-common.xml:                 C12_faraday
udunits2-common.xml:                 faraday
udunits2-common.xml:                 gamma
udunits2-common.xml:                 gauss
udunits2-common.xml:                 maxwell
udunits2-common.xml:                 oersted
udunits2-common.xml:                Oe
udunits2-common.xml:                 statcoulomb
udunits2-common.xml:                 statfarad
udunits2-common.xml:                 stathenry
udunits2-common.xml:                 statmho
udunits2-common.xml:                 statohm
udunits2-common.xml:                 statvolt
udunits2-common.xml:                 unit_pole
udunits2-common.xml:             BV
udunits2-common.xml:             Bv
udunits2-common.xml:             B&#xB5;V
udunits2-common.xml:                &#xB0;R
udunits2-common.xml:                    degree_rankine
udunits2-common.xml:                    degreeR
udunits2-common.xml:                    degree_R
udunits2-common.xml:                    degR
udunits2-common.xml:                    deg_R
udunits2-common.xml:                &#xB0;F
udunits2-common.xml:                &#x2109;
udunits2-common.xml:                 fahrenheit
udunits2-common.xml:                    degree_fahrenheit
udunits2-common.xml:                    degreeF
udunits2-common.xml:                    degree_F
udunits2-common.xml:                    degF
udunits2-common.xml:                    deg_F
udunits2-common.xml:                 footcandle
udunits2-common.xml:                 footlambert
udunits2-common.xml:                 lambert
udunits2-common.xml:                 stilb
udunits2-common.xml:                sb
udunits2-common.xml:                 phot
udunits2-common.xml:                ph
udunits2-common.xml:                 nit
udunits2-common.xml:                nt
udunits2-common.xml:                 langley
udunits2-common.xml:                 blondel
udunits2-common.xml:                 apostilb
udunits2-common.xml:              kayser
udunits2-common.xml:                 geopotential
udunits2-common.xml:                 dynamic
udunits2-common.xml:                gp
udunits2-common.xml:                 work_year
udunits2-common.xml:                 work_month
udunits2-common.xml:                 potential_vorticity_unit
udunits2-common.xml:                PVU
udunits2-common.xml:                 count
udunits2-common.xml:                 dobson
udunits2-common.xml:                DU
udunits2-derived.xml:SI derived units with special names and symbols
udunits2-derived.xml:        radian
udunits2-derived.xml:        rad
udunits2-derived.xml:        steradian
udunits2-derived.xml:        sr
udunits2-derived.xml:        hertz
udunits2-derived.xml:        Hz
udunits2-derived.xml:        gram
udunits2-derived.xml:        g
udunits2-derived.xml:        newton
udunits2-derived.xml:        N
udunits2-derived.xml:        pascal
udunits2-derived.xml:        Pa
udunits2-derived.xml:        joule
udunits2-derived.xml:        J
udunits2-derived.xml:        watt
udunits2-derived.xml:        W
udunits2-derived.xml:        coulomb
udunits2-derived.xml:        C
udunits2-derived.xml:        volt
udunits2-derived.xml:        V
udunits2-derived.xml:        farad
udunits2-derived.xml:        F
udunits2-derived.xml:        ohm
udunits2-derived.xml:        &#x3A9;        <!-- Greek capital letter omega
udunits2-derived.xml:            &#x2126;
udunits2-derived.xml:         siemens
udunits2-derived.xml:        S
udunits2-derived.xml:        weber
udunits2-derived.xml:        Wb
udunits2-derived.xml:        tesla
udunits2-derived.xml:        T
udunits2-derived.xml:        henry
udunits2-derived.xml:        H
udunits2-derived.xml:            degree_Celsius
udunits2-derived.xml:        &#xB0;C
udunits2-derived.xml:        lumen
udunits2-derived.xml:        lm
udunits2-derived.xml:        lux
udunits2-derived.xml:        lx
udunits2-derived.xml:        katal
udunits2-derived.xml:        kat
udunits2-derived.xml:    <!-- SI derived units with special names and symbols
admitted for
udunits2-derived.xml:                becquerel
udunits2-derived.xml:                Bq
udunits2-derived.xml:            gray
udunits2-derived.xml:            Gy
udunits2-derived.xml:                sievert
udunits2-derived.xml:                Sv
udunits2-prefixes.xml:        1e24 yotta        Y
udunits2-prefixes.xml:        1e21 zetta        Z
udunits2-prefixes.xml:        1e18 exa  E
udunits2-prefixes.xml:        1e15 peta P
udunits2-prefixes.xml:        1e12 tera T
udunits2-prefixes.xml:        1e9 giga  G
udunits2-prefixes.xml:        1e6 mega  M
udunits2-prefixes.xml:        1e3 kilo  k
udunits2-prefixes.xml:        100 hecto h
udunits2-prefixes.xml:        10 deka   da
udunits2-prefixes.xml:        .1 deci   d
udunits2-prefixes.xml:        .01 centi c
udunits2-prefixes.xml:        1e-3 milli        m
udunits2-prefixes.xml:        &#xB5;
udunits2-prefixes.xml:        &#x3BC;
udunits2-prefixes.xml:        u
udunits2-prefixes.xml:        1e-9 nano n
udunits2-prefixes.xml:        1e-12 pico        p
udunits2-prefixes.xml:        1e-15 femto       f
udunits2-prefixes.xml:        1e-18 atto        a
udunits2-prefixes.xml:        1e-21 zepto       z
udunits2-prefixes.xml:        1e-24 yocto       y