"Jonathan Gregory": New Ticket - [Support !DOV-245654]: case of unit names

--- Begin Message ---
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: New Ticket - [Support !DOV-245654]: case of unit names
  • From: "Jonathan Gregory" <address@hidden>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 11:24:39 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Thu Feb 10 11:24:40 2011
New Ticket: case of unit names

Dear Steve

I was surprised to find that the cf-checker accepted DAYS as a valid unit, but
I understand from Ros and the udunits guide that in udunits-2 the names of
units (not the symbols) are case-insensitive. I am pretty sure that it is
quite often stated that units names (at least SI) are lower case. For instance,
it is "joule", not "Joule", despite its being named after a person. The
detailed NIST guide, which udunits follows, also appears to uphold this in
sect 9.1 of http://physics.nist.gov/Pubs/SP811/sec09.html

"When spelled out in full, unit names are treated like ordinary English nouns.
Thus the names of all units start with a lower-case letter, except at the
beginning of a sentence or in capitalized material such as a title."

Could udunits-2 be made to follow this rule?

Best wishes

Jonathan

Ticket ID: DOV-245654
Department: Support