20050110: problem building udunits on freebsd 4.7-RELEASE

Neil,

>Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 15:42:51 -0600
>From: Neil Smith <address@hidden>
>To: Steve Emmerson <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20050110: problem building udunits on freebsd 4.7-RELEASE

> OK. But still have failure.
> Now with:
>
> CC=/usr/bin/gcc
> CPPFLAGS=-Df2cFortran
> CFLAGS=-O
> PERL=/usr/bin/perl
> FC=g77
> F90=
> FFLAGS=-O
> CXXFLAGS=-O
> CXX=/usr/bin/g++
> CPP=/usr/bin/gcc -E
>
>  > cat configure.log
> creating cache ./config.cache
> checking type of operating system... freebsd
> checking for catman... catman
> checking for manual-page index command... catman -w -M $(MANDIR)
> checking for C compiler... /usr/bin/gcc
> checking for dependency generation mechanism... /usr/bin/gcc -M
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... /usr/bin/gcc -E
> checking the C preprocessor... works
> checking for C const... yes
> checking for C volatile... yes
> checking for C signed... yes
> checking for C function prototypes... yes
> checking for standard C variadic functions... yes
> checking for standard C string generation... yes
> checking for standard C token pasting... yes
> checking C void pointer... yes
> checking for ar... ar
> checking for tar flags... -chof
> checking for ranlib... ranlib
> checking binary distribution directory... system: not found
> /home/ftp/pub/binary/dummy_system
> checking the installation prefix... /unidata/upc/udunits-1.12.2
> checking the installation exec-prefix... /unidata/upc/udunits-1.12.2
> checking for neqn... neqn
> checking for tbl... tbl
> checking for ar... (cached) ar
> checking for yacc library...
> checking for yyerror() in default library(s)... no
> checking for yyerror() in -ly... yes
> checking for C math library...
> checking for return sin(0.0) != 0 in default library(s)... no
> checking for return sin(0.0) != 0 in -lm... yes
> checking style for cfortran.h... Standard
> checking for Fortran integer type equivalent to C pointer... configure:
> error: Test program build failure

The reason for this failure should be in the file "config.log":

> configure:2288: checking for Fortran integer type equivalent to C
> pointer
> configure:2298: /usr/bin/gcc -o conftest -O -Df2cFortran  conftest.c
> gcc: : No such file or directory

Unfortunately, the last error-message above isn't very helpful.

This failure is very strange and should not have occurred.  It's not
obvious what the problem is, although I suspect a problem with your
development environment.

I suggest editing the "configure" script.  Have the script exit at the
point where it fails (search for "Fortran integer type equivalent")
without removing the test file "conftest.c".  Then, manually execute the
command

    /usr/bin/gcc -o conftest -O -Df2cFortran  conftest.c

and see if you can determine the cause of the "No such file or
directory" error-message.

Regards,
Steve Emmerson