Re: FW: Re: NCEP North American Reanalysis (fwd)

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Dan Swank wrote:

> I copied the narr.cdl file from the FTP and tried:
>
> gribtonc -v -l ./log -e ./error ./narr.cdl
> narr-b_221_20010101_0000_000.nc < narr-b_221_20010101_0000_000.grb

here's the process

# creates cdl file narr.cdl
% gribtocdl -v narr-b_221_20010101_0000_000.grb > narr.cdl

# creates netcdf file narr.nc  in verbose mode, logging to screen
% gribtonc -vl - narr.cdl narr.nc < narr-b_221_20010101_0000_000.grb

> Result
> Segmentation fault

explained below, set UDUNITS_PATH

> and
> Oct 20 19:31:05 gribtonc[32594]: Starting Up
> in the ./log file.
>
> Any idea whats going on?  It is likely gribtonc (or more likely one of
> its dependancies) is not installed correctly on our system (RedHat 7.3)
> Also, what did you use to create this CDL file?  The data in cdl seems
> like a translation of the information in the grib PDS, reworked into a
> format that ncgen can understand.
> Any way i can get anymore debug information regarding this?
>
> Only hunch is that it is not happy with the udunits package
>
> -> /usr/local/udunits-1.11.7/udunits-1.11.7/bin/udunits
> udunits(3): Couldn't open units database "/upc/udunits/etc/udunits.dat":

ahh, that's the problem. udunits can't find udunits.dat  either place
udunits.dat in dir /upc/udunits/etc/ or set environment var

% setenv UDUNITS_PATH /your/udunits/path/udunits.dat

replace /your/udunits/path/ with appropriate path

robb...