20030926: udunits and fortran Mac OSX 10.2.

Ruth,

>Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 13:21:42 -0400
>From: Ruth Platner <address@hidden>
>To: Steve Emmerson <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20030926: udunits and fortran Mac OSX 10.2.

> The Mac OSX Developer Tools came with two c compilers; gcc2 and gcc3.
> gcc3 was the default and the one I was using Friday. I switched to gcc2
> and cc -M seems to work correctly now.

Excellent!

> I cleaned everything up, ran
> configure again and make. The make gets a lot further than it did before
> but it does fail eventually. I've included the make.log, config.log and
> configure.log the output of configure. It fails in the udunits directory
> because it can't find CXX. I'm not sure what CXX should be.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Ruth

>  filename="make.log"
> making `all' in directory /udunits-1.11.7/src/udunits
>
> cc -c -O -I../lib -I../port/misc -Df2cFortran udunits.c
> @CXX@ -o udunits udunits.o -L/udunits-1.11.7/src/lib -ludunits
> -L/udunits-1.11.7/src/port/misc -ludport -ly
> /bin/sh: @CXX@: command not found
> make[2]: *** [udunits] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [program] Error 2
> make: *** [udunits/all] Error 1

I believe that Mac OSX is non-standard in that it can't distinguish
between "udunits.c" and "udunits.C".  It looks like that is causing
the makefile to think that the C++ compiler needs to be invoked instead
of the C compiler.

We can try tricking the makefile by setting the C++ compiler to the C
compiler.  Try the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory of the UDUNITS package.

    2.  Perform steps 3 through 5 which are described near the end of
        the file INSTALL.

    3.  Ensure that the environment variable CXX is set to the C
        compiler, e.g.,

            export CXX=gcc2

        or

            setenv CXX gcc2

        depending on your user-shell.

    4.  Perform steps 6 through 9 which are described near the end of
        the file INSTALL.

Please let me know if this helps.