20030828: netcdf/udunits library problems

Adam,

> Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 11:14:34 -0700 (12:14 MDT)
> From: Adam Wilhite <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: [Fwd: udunits/netcdf library problems]

> Steve,
>     Can you help me with this.  We are using absoft fortran version 7.
>
> thanks,
> Adam Wilhite

> Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 18:04:46 -0400
> From: "Sharon P. Burton" <address@hidden>
> To: Adam Wilhite <address@hidden>
> Subject: udunits/netcdf library problems
>
> Hi Adam,
> I've been trying to compile my code on grimlock with the libraries you
> installed for me and I'm getting "undefined references" like it can't
> see things in the library that I know are there.  It looks to me that
> the compiler I'm using (/usr/absoft/bin/f90) disagrees on things like
> underscores and upper case/lower case with what's in the library archive
> files, libudunits.a and libnetcdf.a.  It's almost like the compiler
> doesn't match what was used to build the libraries.  What compilers did
> you use?  Were there any options that controlled the naming?
>
> Thanks again for taking the time to help me with this....
>
> Cheers,
> Sharon

Sharon's analysis is right on.  When I previously told you to define the
C macro "f2cFortran" when building the netCDF and UDUNITS packages, it
was because you were on a Linux system and the default argument-passing
and naming conventions for that system are enabled by that macro.
I didn't know you were going to use Absoft's Fortran compiler (I
should have asked).  Because different Fortran compilers have different
argument-passing and naming conventions, the C compiler needs to know
which set of conventions to use.

For Absoft's Fortran compiler, the C macro to be defined is either
"AbsoftUNIXFortran" or "AbsoftProFortran".  I'm afraid I don't know how
to distinguish between these two (we don't have them here).  Hopefully,
you'll know which one is correct for Absoft Fortran version 7.

You'll have to re-build and re-install the netCDF and UDUNITS packages.
Ensure that the environment variable CPPFLAGS defines the appropriate C
macro before executing the configure script, e.g.,

    export CPPFLAGS=-DAbsoftProFortran          # note "-D" prefix

or

    setenv CPPFLAGS -DAbsoftUNIXFortran         # note "-D" prefix

depending on your user-shell.  Do a "make distclean" first for each
package, setup the environment variables, and then execute the configure
script.  Then a "make", "make test", and "make install" should do the
trick.

Please let me know if this helps.