20030331: Help with udunits and grib2nc on RH8

Von,

> To: address@hidden
> From: "Von P. Walden" <address@hidden>
> Subject: Help with udunits and grib2nc on RH8

> I'm trying to install grib2nc on my Linux laptop running RH8.  I realized
> that
> I also need to install udunits, so I downloaded the tar file from you web
> site.  It appears to be hanging up on the cfortran stuff.  Apparently,
> configure doesn't recognize that I already have g77/f77 on my machine.
>
> I'm a newbie at using configure, so I'm not sure how to inform it about g77.
> I tried putting FC='g77' in the CUSTOMIZE file, but that didn't work.
>
> Any suggestions on how I can get udunits installed, so I can eventually
> install grib2nc?  Any help would be much appreciated.
> making `all' in directory /home/vonw/tmp/udunits-1.11.7/src/lib
>
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/vonw/tmp/udunits-1.11.7/src/lib'
> ln -s ../port/misc/udalloc.c .
> ln -s ../port/misc/udalloc.h .
> gcc -c -O -I../port/misc -I../port/cfortran -DUT_DEFAULT_PATH=3D'"/usr/lo=
> cal/unidata/etc/udunits.dat"'  utlib.c
> In file included from utlib.c:29:
> =2E./port/cfortran/cfortran.h:132:3: #error "cfortran.h:  Can't find your=
>  environment among:    - MIPS cc and f77 2.0. (e.g. Silicon Graphics, DEC=
> stations, ...)         - IBM AIX XL C and FORTRAN Compiler/6000 Version 0=
> 1.01.0000.0000         - VAX   VMS CC 3.1 and FORTRAN 5.4.               =
>                        - Alpha VMS DEC C 1.3 and DEC FORTRAN 6.0.        =
>                        - Alpha OSF DEC C and DEC Fortran for OSF/1 AXP Ve=
> rsion 1.2              - Apollo DomainOS 10.2 (sys5.3) with f77 10.7 and =
> cc 6.7.                - CRAY                                            =
>                        - NEC SX-4 SUPER-UX                               =
>                        - CONVEX                                          =
>                        - Sun                                             =
>                        - PowerStation Fortran with Visual C++            =
>                        - HP9000s300/s700/s800 Latest test with: HP-UX A.0=
> 8.07 A 9000/730        - LynxOS: cc or gcc with f2c.                     =
>                        - VAXUltrix: vcc,cc or gcc with f2c. gcc or cc wit=
> h f77.                 -            f77 with vcc works; but missing link =
> magic for f77 I/O.     -            NO fort. None of gcc, cc or vcc gener=
> ate required names.    - f2c    : Use #define    f2cFortran, or cc -Df2cF=
> ortran                 - NAG f90: Use #define NAGf90Fortran, or cc -DNAGf=
> 90Fortran              - Absoft UNIX F77: Use #define AbsoftUNIXFortran o=
> r cc -DAbsoftUNIXFortran     - Absoft Pro Fortran: Use #define AbsoftProF=
> ortran     - Portland Group Fortran: Use #define pgiFortran"
> make[1]: *** [utlib.o] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/vonw/tmp/udunits-1.11.7/src/lib'
> make: *** [lib/all] Error 1

The above indicates that you need to tell the C compiler what
argument-passing conventions to use for C functions that are called
from Fortran routines. Because you're using g77(1), this is done by
ensuring that the environment variable CPPFLAGS contains the string
"-Df2cFortran".

Try the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory.

    2.  Perform steps 3 through 5 described near the end of the file
        INSTALL.

    3.  Ensure that the environment variable CPPFLAGS contains the
        string "-Df2cFortran" (without the quotes) e.g.,

            export CPPFLAGS=-Df2cFortran

        or

            setenv CPPFLAGS -Df2cFortran

    4.  Perform steps 6 through 9 described near the end of the file
        INSTALL.

Please let me know if this helps.