20020621: compiling UDUNITS-using readgeneral.f

Mekonnen,

>Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 13:46:15 -0500
>From: "Mekonnen G. Woldemariam" <address@hidden>
>To: Steve Emmerson <address@hidden>
>Subject: RE: 20020620: installing udunits on Redhat Linux

> readgeneral.f: In program `MAIN__':
> readgeneral.f:125:
>         ntime = 5
>          ^

I'm afraid that I can't help you with problems compiling file
readgeneral.f because that's not my file.

> In file included from readgeneral.f:176:
> ./udunits-1.11.7/include/udunits.inc: In subroutine `gridread':
> ./udunits-1.11.7/include/udunits.inc:27: undefined or invalid # directive
> ./udunits-1.11.7/include/udunits.inc:36:
>          PTR utmake
>          1         2
> Unrecognized statement name at (1) and invalid form for assignment or
> statement-function definition at (2)

The UDUNITS Fortran header file "udunits.inc" is meant to be
preprocessed by the C preprocessor.  Apparently, your Fortran compiler
doesn't preprocess *.f files in this way.  Try renaming the file from
readgeneral.f to readgeneral.F -- this might activate preprocessing.
Alternative, try to find an option for your Fortran that makes it
preprocess input files.