20020620: installing udunits on Redhat Linux

Mekonnen,

> To: address@hidden
> From: "Mekonnen G. Woldemariam" <address@hidden>
> Subject: support

> I am trying to use the readgeneral.f program to read a netCDF file.
> Following the instructions shown in the program file, I installed the
> netCDF and UDUNITS libraries. The program readgeneral.f states in STEP
> 2 "change the location of the udunits.dat file to match yor system
> installation". However, I couldn't find the file "udunits.dat". Does
> this imply that the UDUNITS libraries were not correctly installed?
> For your information: (1) I am working on the linux redhat machine,
> (2) the output that I got after typing make in the UDUNITS directory
> is shown below.
>
> Thanks for your help. I appreciate your quick reply as soon as possible.
>
> Thanks, Mekonnen

> making `all' in directory /home/woldemar/test_gar/udunits-1.11.7/src/lib
>
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/woldemar/test_gar/udunits-1.11.7/src/lib'
> cc -c -O -I../port/misc -I../port/cfortran
> -DUT_DEFAULT_PATH='"/home/woldemar/test_gar/udunits-1.11.7/etc/udunits.dat"'
> utlib.c
> In file included from utlib.c:29:
> ../port/cfortran/cfortran.h:132:3: #error "cfortran.h:  Can't find your
> environment among:    - MIPS cc and f77 2.0. (e.g. Silicon Graphics,
> DECstations, ...)         - IBM AIX XL C and FORTRAN Compiler/6000 Version
> 01.01.0000.0000         - VAX   VMS CC 3.1 and FORTRAN 5.4.
>                   - Alpha VMS DEC C 1.3 and DEC FORTRAN 6.0.
>             - Alpha OSF DEC C and DEC Fortran for OSF/1 AXP Version 1.2
>       - Apollo DomainOS 10.2 (sys5.3) with f77 10.7 and cc 6.7.
>
> - CRAY                                                                   -
> NEC
> SX-4 SUPER-UX                                                      - CONVEX
>                                                              - Sun
>                                                        - PowerStation Fortran
> with Visual C++                                   - HP9000s300/s700/s800
> Latest test with: HP-UX A.08.07 A 9000/730        - LynxOS: cc or gcc with
> f2c.                                            - VAXUltrix: vcc,cc or gcc
> with f2c. gcc or cc with f77.                 -            f77 with vcc
> works;
> but missing link magic for f77 I/O.     -            NO fort. None of gcc, cc
> or vcc generate required names.    - f2c    : Use #define    f2cFortran, or
> cc
> -Df2cFortran                 - NAG f90: Use #define NAGf90Fortran, or cc
> -DNAGf90Fortran              - Absoft UNIX F77: Use #define AbsoftUNIXFortran
> or cc -DAbsoftUNIXFortran     - Absoft Pro Fortran: Use #define
> AbsoftProFortran     - Portland Group Fortran: Use #define pgiFortran"
> make[1]: *** [utlib.o] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/woldemar/test_gar/udunits-1.11.7/src/lib'
> make: *** [lib/all] Error 1

Judging from the above, I would say that your UDUNITS package was not
correctly built -- much less correctly installed.

Please try the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory of the UDUNITS package.

    2.  Perform steps 3 through 5 described near the end of the file
        INSTALL.

    3.  Ensure that the C macro appropriate for your Fortran compiler is
        defined in the environment variable CPPFLAGS (e.g. "export
        CPPFLAGS=-Df2cFortran" -- see the file INSTALL for examples and
        appropriate settings).

    4.  Perform steps 6 through 9 described near the end of the file
        INSTALL.