[python #XFQ-820961]: Level-III to geojson

Greetings!

MetPy has a function for converting azimuth and ranges around a center point
(i.e. a radar) to lat/lons by using great circle distances. You should be able
to use that to get the lat/lons you need for geojson.

https://unidata.github.io/MetPy/latest/api/generated/metpy.calc.azimuth_range_to_lat_lon.html#metpy.calc.azimuth_range_to_lat_lon

This example uses that to plot on a map using lat/lons:

https://unidata.github.io/MetPy/latest/examples/formats/NEXRAD_Level_3_File.html#sphx-glr-examples-formats-nexrad-level-3-file-py

I'm not familiar at all about the writing/formatting of geojson, so I'm not
sure what tool to turn to for that. Fiona? Geopandas?

Hope this helps!

Ryan

> Hi Ryan,
>
> I've ran into an issue with converting some files and I can't seem to find
> information online, so I thought I would email you.
>
> I am using super-res level 3 files from Allison House and I want to convert
> them to geojson (with polygon shapes and values for each bin).
>
> Just wondering if this is possible using MetPy? I have attached a sample
> file. I appreciate any insight.

Ticket ID: XFQ-820961
Department: Support Python