[python #SWP-244115]: metpy cross-section issue

Hi,

So the xarray machinery in MetPy is expecting netCDF compliant metadata when
accessing the unit attributes, so strings, not a pint object.

So when creating the Dataset, you should do:

ds2 = xr.Dataset({'potential temperature': (['vertical', 'y', 'x'], th_iso,
{'units': str(th_iso.units)}),
                                'u wind': (['vertical', 'y', 'x'], u_iso,
{'units': str(u_iso.units)}), \
                                'v wind': (['vertical', 'y', 'x'], v_iso,
{'units': str(v_iso.units)}), \
                                'lon': (['y', 'x'], lons, {'units':
'degrees_east'}), \
                                'lat': (['y', 'x'], lats, {'units':
'degrees_north'})}, \
                                coords={'vertical': (['vertical'], plevs,
{'units': str(plevs.units)}), \
                                'y': (['y'], y, {'units': 'm'}), \
                                'x': (['x'], x, {'units': 'm'})})

I think it will make sense for MetPy to eventually have something that
simplifies this vastly overcomplicated process, but you're just ahead of us
here.

Hope this helps,

Ryan

> I am trying to set up WRF data in xarray so that I can create a cross-section
> with metpy. I followed the example in Issue 1004 to add projection
> information into my dataset. However, I am getting the following error when I
> call parse_cf:
> AttributeError: 'Unit' object has no attribute 'replace'
>
> Is this a metpy bug, or am I doing something wrong? Attached is the code that
> I currently have.

Ticket ID: SWP-244115
Department: Support Python