[python #SWP-244115]: metpy cross-section issue

Hi,

So what you'll need is to create a fully CF-compliant set of projection
information (http://cfconventions.org). In this case, since you're working in
latitude/longitude space, you should:

1. Add a variable (can be called anything, like "LatLonProjection") to the
Dataset. At a minimum this variable needs to have an attribute
"grid_mapping_name" with a "latitude_longitude".
2. Add an attribute to all of your data fields (e.g. "potential temperature",
"u wind") called "grid_mapping" with a value equal to the name of the variable
you created in (1) (e.g. "LatLonProjection").

Then you should be able to do e.g. dataset.metpy.parse_cf() or
dataset.metpy.parse_cf('u wind').

Unfortunately, this won't work right now:

arr = dataset['potential temperature']
arr.metpy.crs = ccrs.LambertConformal()

because the `crs` attribute is read-only. Improvements to the cross-section
functionality to make it easier to work with other data sets is being tracked
in: https://github.com/Unidata/MetPy/issues/1004

Ryan

> I have some WRF output in sigma coordinates, with the lat-lon grid in 2
> dimensional arrays. After converting the output into isobaric coordinates, I
> want to create a new xarray with the output so I can use metpy to plot a
> cross-section. However, I am getting 2 errors:
> AttributeError: 'Dataset' object has no attribute 'crs'
> AttributeError: cannot set attribute 'crs' on a 'Dataset' object. Use
> __setitem__ style assignment (e.g., `ds['name'] = ...`) instead to assign
> variables.
>
> How do I set up my data to be compatible with the metpy cross-section
> feature? I looked into Issue 949 and Issue 1004, but I haven't been able to
> find a solution.
>
> Attached is my code. The WRF output is too large to send, but it is a
> standard output file in netCDF format.

Ticket ID: SWP-244115
Department: Support Python