[netCDF #NPB-553460]: Python netCDF4

Arturo,

That is just a warning letting you know that the library, while it tries to
automatically mask bad values using metadata like the "valid_range" attribute,
is ignoring the "valid_range" attribute for your variable because the attribute
has a different type than that of the original data values. It's only a
warning, so your data should be fine, it's just that bad/missing values may not
be properly masked.

For more information, see this GitHub issue:
https://github.com/Unidata/netcdf4-python/issues/707

Ryan

> I have worked with netCDF files in python before but only extracting single
> values based on specific lat and lon combinations. This time I am having to
> slice a variable to get all values that fall within a specific grid. My
> script is working with no errors. However, on the first extraction in a loop
> I am getting the following warning:
>
> UserWarning: WARNING: valid_range not used since it
> cannot be safely cast to variable data type.
>
> I am using Anaconda as my development environment and using files from the
> following link:
>
> https://ecocast.arc.nasa.gov/data/pub/gimms/3g.v1/
>
> I just want to make sure that I am not doing anything wrong regarding
> incorrect libraries, etc.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

Ticket ID: NPB-553460
Department: Support Python