[netCDF #WGQ-990828]: netcdf fortran libraries

Hello Marko,

I think I see the issue.  The symptom of the problem is that arguments are
being passed to libtool that it does not expect.  I suspect this to be the
issue because, at the bottom of the make.log file you provided, I see the
following line:

 > /bin/sh ../libtool  --tag=F77   --mode=link  -I../fortran   -I../fortran
 > -o nf_test f03lib_f_interfaces.o test_get.o test_put.o nf_error.o nf_test.o
 > test_read.o test_write.o util.o f03lib.o ../fortran/libnetcdff.la -lnetcdf

This is missing something; it should instead read along the lines of:

> /bin/sh ../libtool  --tag=F77   --mode=link [fortran compiler]  -I../fortran
>  -I../fortran    -o nf_test f03lib_f_interfaces.o test_get.o test_put.o
> nf_error.o nf_test.o test_read.o test_write.o util.o f03lib.o
> ../fortran/libnetcdff.la -lnetcdf

I believe you will need to set the F77 environmental variable to `pgfortran`,
e.g.

    $ F77=pgfortran .//configure

This should result in the following command being run at compile time:

> /bin/sh ../libtool  --tag=F77   --mode=link pgfortran -I../fortran
> -I../fortran    -o nf_test f03lib_f_interfaces.o test_get.o test_put.o
> nf_error.o nf_test.o test_read.o test_write.o util.o f03lib.o
> ../fortran/libnetcdff.la -lnetcdf

Give this a try and if the issue persists, please provide the updated config
and make logs and I will see what we can sort out!

Thank you very much, have a terrific day,

-Ward

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to build the netcdf fortran libraries v4.4.4 on my
> MacBookPro under 10.12 Sierra. I am using a slightly older netcdf-C
> library v4.2.1 on my computer.
>
> Installing the fortran libraries with gfortran works fine, except for
> the new 4.4 features (rename groups), but when I try to install them
> with pgfortran I get an error message, see attached log files.
>
> Do you have any idea what's going wrong?
>
> Many thanks
> Marko
>

> --
> Dr. Marko Scholze
> Senior Lecturer
> Department of Physical Geography and Ecosystem Science
> Lund University, Sölvegatan 12, SE-223 62 Lund
> Phone:+46 46 222 4082
> www.nateko.lu.se

Ticket ID: WGQ-990828
Department: Support netCDF