[netCDF #LCN-240709]: RE: Fwd: RE: unidata summer workshops

Hi Tim,

> Thanks for this.  I've been busy with other projects so I'm just getting back
> around to trying to get netCDF installed on my windows machine via the cmake
> GUI.  A couple of questions based on my research:
>

> ·         What exactly is HDF5 and do I need it if I’m just trying to access
> readily available netCDF files?

HDF5 is another format and library that netCDF-4 uses for its storage layer to
implement
more performance features (e.g. compression, parallel I/O) as well as an
extended data
model that has more primitive types and user-defined types.

Here's 2 FAQs that provide more details about the relationship among netCDF-3,
netCDF-4,
and HDF5:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/faq.html#fv4
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/faq.html#fv18

You don't netCDF-4 or HDF5 if the files you want to access use the default
netCDF-3
"classic" data model and format, or the 64-bit offset format.  Here's how you
can
tell:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs/faq.html#fv1_5

> ·         If you think HDF5 worthwhile to have, it doesn’t appear that it is
> part of the netCDF download you directed me to?  Where would I find it and
> how do I instruct the cmake GUI to recognize it?

It's not part of netCDF, as it's developed, maintained, and supported by a
different
organization.  If you decide you need netCDF-4 and the HDF5 library it depends
on,
you can download it from the HDF Group site:

  http://www.hdfgroup.org/HDF5/

If you download it in binary form and install that, you won't need CMake to
build it
from source. But the HDF5 Group provides instructions for building and
installing it
with CMake, in case you have a need for that.

> ·         If you don’t think HDF5 is necessary for my purposes, how do I
> instruct the cmake GUI to build without it?

You would provide the CMake option

  -D"ENABLE_NETCDF_4=OFF"

as described in more detail here:

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/netcdf/docs_rc/netCDF-CMake.html

> Sorry for what are probably pretty simplistic questions.  This is all new to
> me.  Thanks for your help!

No problem, glad to help ...

--Russ

> Tim

> Timothy W. Hawkins
>
> Professor and Graduate Program Coordinator
>
> Department of Geography and Earth Science
>
> Shippensburg University
>
> 1871 Old Main Drive
>
> Shippensburg, PA 17257
>

> Email: address@hidden