[netCDF #AZX-585461]: fortran configure problems

Hi Karen,

> Hi I am struggling to get the fortran build for netcdf4 going on hopper.
>
> I'm referring to the docs here
> https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf-fortran-inst>
> all.html
>
> The first issue I encountered is that the configure script did not
> work correctly unless I separated>  the LDFLAGS and LIBS or the
> parallel io test. This is because th> e contest.c was specified
> after LDFLAGS. You might want to upd> ate the documentation (which
> specifies everything in LDFLAGS) > as it took me a bit of time to
> discover this and track it down.

I think I've corrected this as you suggest, but please let us know if
this is not what you intended (the second step 3 in this document):

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf-fortran-install.html

> The second problem I'm having is getting the required symbols nf90_mpiio
> defined.
>
> Here is my configure
> ./configure --enable-parallel-tests
> CPPFLAGS="-I/scratch/scratchdirs/karen/hdf5-pre-notrunc/avoid_tr>
> uncate/install/include -I/scratch/>
> scratchdirs/karen/netcdf-4.2.1.1/install/include" LDFLAGS="-L/sc>
> ratch/scratchdirs/karen/hdf5-pre-n>
> otrunc/avoid_truncate/install/lib -L/scratch/scratchdirs/karen/n>
> etcdf-4.2.1.1/install/lib" LIBS="-> lnetcdf -lhdf5_hl -lhdf5 -lz"
> --disable-shared --prefix=`pwd` CC> =cc CXX=CC FC=ftn
>
> Configured like this, the nf90_mpiio variable can be found in netcdf.inc but
> not in netcdf.mod.
>
> If I also set F90=ftn, then the symbol doesn't show up in either place.
>
> If I run ./nf-config âall, it says I don't have f90 in either case
> but the examples/F90 programs bui> ld.
>
> Asside from these missing symbols, everything else is in order but
> of course parallel IO aborts if I>  don't specify one of the parallel io
> flags.
>
> What am I overlooking?

I don't think you're overlooking anything.  This looks like a bug, due
to inadequate testing of the --enable-parallel-tests and separate
Fortran distribution.  I've entered it into our Jira issue-tracking
system, where you can monitor it or add comments on the issue:

  https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/jira/browse/NCFORTRAN-21

> Also I'm not sure how to get the parallel tests to build. Including
> the flag didn't seem to do the trick.

Did you build the C library according to these instructions, with
--enable-parallel, and also use --enable-parallel when you build the
HDF5 library?

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/build_parallel.html

If you did that, I don't know what's wrong.  We'll defintiely look
into this when we get to that Jira issue ...

--Russ

Ticket ID: AZX-585461
Department: Support netCDF