[netCDF #IJI-139782]: windows binaries for NetCDF 4.2.1.1

Good morning Alan,

> I have a question about the new NetCDF 4.2.1 windows version, and I
> don't know who to ask.  Can you please forward my question to someone at
> Unidata who knows about the windows release?
>
> We are using Netcdf in VAPOR, which is a C++ application which runs on
> windows, mac and linux.   I am happy to see that binaries are available,
> and that they are supposed to work with Visual Studio 2010.  However,
> the binary downloads (for both 64 and 32 bits) are quite different from
> previous downloads.  There is no netcdf.dll or netcdf.lib.  I would like
> to know how to import netcdf into VS 2010, preferably using the dll, but
> static would be OK.  Is there a .lib file somewhere, or is there a way
> of importing using the .def file?

As an aside, which binary package did you try to use? They shared packages
should contain both .dll and .a files (which can be used in place of .lib with
Visual Studio 2010).  It is certainly an error if the packages do not contain
these files.

These binary packages were cross compiled using MinGW on Windows, and provide
general Visual Studio compatibility.  The bad news is that, while these
libraries work, they have proven finicky under some circumstances.  The good
news is that we have been able to build netCDF natively under Visual Studio
using CMake-generated Visual Studio projects.  CMake functionality has not been
integrated into an official release, yet, but it is part of the latest
developer snapshot, available through our subversion repository at:

svn co http://svn.unidata.ucar.edu/repos/netcdf/trunk

Additionally, the cutting-edge CMake integration branch may be found at:

svn co http://svn.unidata.ucar.edu/repos/netcdf/branches/netcdf-cmake

Alternatively, I can try to provide a Visual Studio native build for you, if
you tell me which configuration you are interested in.  Currently I am having
issues compiling a shared library with both DAP and HDF5 support, but the
equivalent static library builds just fine and passes our tests.

Thanks for your time, have a great day,

-Ward
address@hidden

> Thanks,