[McIDAS #KCH-422010]: GOES E/W composites not updating

Hi Don,

re:
> The GOES-E/W composites in the RTIMAGES dataset on adde.ucar.edu have
> not been updated since 2/19 14:45Z.  I use these products for our Viz
> Wall (bundle attached).  I used to use the GINI SuperNational Composite
> but since the switch to GOES-16, the east half of the image is missing.

Given the lack of updates since 2/19, the problem is likely being
caused from GOES-16 running in Mode 6, and the process running in
our Amazon instance that is producing the composites is not smart
enough to handle the faster updates.

re:
> Is there a better product that now uses GOES-16/17 that I can use or is
> the problem with the composite just a temporary thing.

How are you accessing the composites?  E.g., ADDE, TDS, how?

If you are using ADDE, then you could try using (at your own peril)
the GOES-16/17 East/West composites that I am creating on a test
machine here in Unidata.  I am creating composites for GOES-R/S
channels 2, 8, 9 and 13.  Here is the access info for ADDE:

machine: conduit.unidata.ucar.edu
group:   UNIWISC

The thing to know is that GOES-17 has a cooling problem that affects
IR imagery for certain times of the year and then certain times of
the day.  The result of this is a lot of noise in the GOES-17 portion
of the composites for some parts of the day.

The other thing to know is that the GOES-16/17 composites have much
higher resolution, 4km vs 10km, and their update frequency is governed
by the Full Disk update frequency for GOES-16.  Currently, the update
frequency is every 10 minutes.

Lastly: generation of the new composites is being tested.  There are
no guarantees that they are working 100% correctly (but they seem to
be working well).  This is why I said "use at your own peril" above.

re:
> Hope you are doing well.

I'm doing OK, thanks.  How about you and Diana?  I haven't seen you two
in way too long of a time!!

Ticket ID: KCH-422010
Department: Support McIDAS