[McIDAS #XGC-376201]: Update mcupdate file is zero length and v2018 installing fails

Hi Graeme,

re:
> Hi got two problems withe McIDAS v2018
>
> https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/downloads/mcidas/unix/2018/index.jsp
>
> Unidata McIDAS-X v2018 Updates
> File  Size    Date    Description
> README        1.36KB
> Feb 1, 2019
> Unidata McIDAS-X 2018 README. Please read this file first for the latest
> information on the release.
> mcupdate      1.8KB
> Feb 1, 2019
> This script should already exist in the mcidas2018/update directory of the
> Unidata McIDAS-X 2018 distribution. Download it to the same directory only
> if directed to by email notification by Unidata User Support, or if the
> original got deleted for some reason.
> mcupdate.tar.gz       0KB
> Dec 31, 1969
> This file contains the cumulative updates to Unidata McIDAS-X 2018 since its
> original release. It should be downloaded into the ~mcidas/mcidas2018/update
> directory and unpacked with the Addendum Unpack script, mcunpack. Since this
> file contains source code and ancillary data files, you will need to rebuild
> and reinstall McIDAS executables and data files to complete and addendum.
>
> I am using v2017 Unix Source Code distribution works ok
>
> I tried to to install v2018 on my  Ubuntu 64bit 18.04.2
>
> and fails in configure:
>
> error: Can't find or link to the z library. Turn off netCDF-4 and opendap
> with --disable-netcdf-4 --disable-dap, or see config.log for errors.
> configure       /home/mcidas/Downloads/mcidas2018/netcdf:       FAILED
>
> Can you help

All I can say is Oops, I make a release that had modifications to the McIDAS
'makefile' (~mcidas/mcidas2018/src/makefile) that were specifically aimed
at Ubuntu 18.04.x, and I thought I had pushed the updated release to the
Downloads area on our website, and I obviously did not.

I just updated the Downloads area with a new Unidata McIDAS distribution
compressed tar file, mcidasx2018.tar.gz and the update compressed tar
file, mcupdate.tar.gz.

Even though you can now update the original v2018 distribution, the one
that you downloaded previously, it may be simplest to download the
full distribution again, unpack it and start the build from scratch.
I suggest that you:

<as 'mcidas'>
cd ~mcidas
rm -rf mcidas2018
-- download the updated McIDAS source, mcidasx2018.tar.gz which is version 2018b
./mcunpack

cd mcidas2018/src
make

make install

Please let me know which path you decide to test (update vs full) and the
results
of your build.

Many apologies for not updating the Downloads area before now!

Ticket ID: XGC-376201
Department: Support McIDAS