[McIDAS #WGZ-508649]: MTSAT Data

Hi Greg,

re:
> Do you know anything about MTSAT data?

A little...

re:
> We have access to a NESDIS server that has the ADDE
> Dataset group MTS. I think you do too.

MTSAT imagery is also available in the PUB dataset on
SATEPSANONE.NESDIS.NOAA.GOV.

re:
> When I do an imglist of this group for MTGLOB04I2,
> MTNHEM04I2 or MTSHEM04I2 I see current data, but the Satellite sensor is
> listed as
> MTSAT-1R.

I see the same thing for the MTSAT images in the PUB dataset.

re:
> Isn't MTSAT-2 the operational satellite and 1R the on-orbit spare?

That is what is indicated by the JMA website:

http://www.jma.go.jp/jma/jma-eng/satellite/

This might mean that the imagery being made available by ADDE has been
mislabeled as MTSAT-1R when it is, in fact, MTSAT-2.

re:
> I need to use  satellite data from both -1R and -2 in January for a couple of
> field
> campaigns we are  supporting. I've been told that the Japanese are bringing
> the on-orbit
> spare into  operations for rapid scan coverage of northern Australia (one of
> our
> projects). I just  want to make sure I'm correct about which one is
> operational so I don't
> mislabel the data  in our archive.

I will need to defer to those who (may) know a lot more about the the JMA
satellites.  I will send a note off to SSEC to see if they know more about
what is and what isn't operational, etc.

re:
> Thanks,

Sorry I don't know the answer off of the top of my head.  I will send along any
information I can dig up...

Ticket ID: WGZ-508649