20020313: McIDAS measuring temperature

>From: Student mail Account <address@hidden>

Kamal,

I am sorry I couldn't answer this when it first came in, but I have
been participating in a two day meeting here in Boulder.

>There is no problem with the DMAP FRAMED,DMAP FRAMENH.001 or DMAP
>TERMCHAR.001 files and they are in their respective directories.I used
>the McIDAS command IMGDISP MYDATA/IMAGES.9010 1LATLON=27 -84 MAG=3
>EU=IMAGE REFRESH='EG;MAP X 5 FILE=OUTLHPOL; MAP SAT 1' to display one
>of the images in the McIDAS. PC E 27:47:08 -86:50:01 to point to the
>cursor and then pressed the right ALT and D keys to measure the
>temperature but the value given is same as the raw value and brightness
>value.

If the 9010 image (AREA9010) is the image that is sent out with Unidata
McIDAS, then temperature data will not be available since it is a
topography image.  You should make sure that the image being used
for MYDATA/IMAGES.9010 is the one you really want to use.  Do this
by us use of the DMAP command:

DMAP AREA9010

Does the output from the DMAP command show you that the image you
want to load is the one being accessed?

The reason I am suspicious about this problem is that I noticed that
a number of the images located in the ~wxnut/mcidas/data directory
on your Linux machine were incorrectly named.  I even pointed this out
to Ward in a previous email.  In fact, I think I remember seeing
an AREA file of name AREA901, and you may be mistaking MYDATA/IMAGES.9010
as this image.  McIDAS, in fact, will not recognize this image since
its name does not follow McIDAS naming conventions: AREAnnnn, where
nnnn is a 4-digit number that ranges from 0001 to 9999.  If this
is your problem, you should:

o rename the AREA file:

  cd ~wxnut/mcidas/data
  mv AREA910 AREA1910

o make sure that your McIDAS session can see this image:

  DMAP AREA1910

o load the image using IMGDISP:

IMGDISP MYDATA/IMAGES.1910 1LATLON=27 -84 MAG=3 EU=IMAGE REFRESH='EG;MAP X 5
FILE=OUTLHPOL; MAP SAT 1'

o and then see if you can't interrogate it with IMGPROBE

>Another problem is I cannot display visible images using the same
>command, the message I get is "BANDS NOT PRESENT".

Can you give me specifics on this:

o machine you are running this on
o account you are trying to load this in
o image you are attempting to load

With this information, I should be able to logon to your machine and
investigate the problem.

Please let me know if I am misinterpreting anyting in your message.

Tom Yoksas