20020314: McIDAS: VMWare

>From: syee <address@hidden>

Steven,

>Professor Keables gave me your contact info. He has a slight problem w/ his
>upcoming Meterology class. He has too many students (13)enrolled, and not
>enough lab computers (3).

Ouch.

>I was wondering if MCIDAS will run on a Linux emulator program like VMWare?

I can't tell you if this will run since I have never tried doing it.

Since I was unfamiliar with VMWare, I did a quick web search to find its
developer's home page and several articles that describe its capabilities.
After reading these, I _still_ can't tell you if it will ve useful in
your context.  McIDAS makes extensive use of shared memory, so if this
feature is not adequately supported under VMWare, McIDAS will not work.

>I don't have any Linux/UNIX boxes available for him in our labs. If I can get
>MCIDAS to run on VMWare on a Windows PC, it could be a viable short-term
>solution. He wants the additional PC's available by March 25th.

What about running XWindow packages (e.g., eXceed, and a host of others)
and use the Windows machines as viewports for running McIDAS on one or
more Unix machines?

>If you can give me an answer, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for your
>time and consideration in this matter.

I am sorry that I don't know enough of VMWare to give you a definitive answer.
I will be interested in your experiences if you decide to give this a try!

>Steven Yee
>GIS Lab Manager
>Dept. of Geography
>2050 E. Iliff Ave.