20000724: Lyndon State model data display and ldm-mcidas distribution

>From: Bill Fingerhut <address@hidden>

Bill,

>Mark took the server down to install a new OS and all
>the software. I would like to test something before sending
>you the script. Is that okay?

That's fine.

>Are we looking at any deadlines?

I have a lot of deadlines, but this is not one of them.

re: requesting a dataset twice in a row
>Yes. For example, if I am testing a script and decide to change
>something and run it again.

OK.

re: Unix file system caches last data read as it is

>I was thinking that once data is requested by my server from your
>server that it
>could be saved (not cached) on my server. As it is now, I request
>something, I get it and use it; then the next time I need the
>same data I have to request it from your server again. Once I have
>it, wouldn't it be more efficient to save it until it is aged off
>rather than till it leaves the cache?

Consider this situation:  ask for a plot of surface data over the US
at 4 past the hour and then request it again at 6 past the hour.
If you cached and used the data from 4 past the hour, you would not
benefit by all of the data that came in between 4 and 6 past the hour.
Most of the time, this is a significant amount of data.

>Is this an option?

No, not really.

re: download of the new ldm-mcidas distribution

>Mark will download this as he reloads software on the server.
>He hopes to do so this week. (I have my fingers crossed.)

OK.  I will be sending out an announcement tomorrow prompting all
of those folks that have not grabbed and installed the new code to
do so.  We simply must move to the new compression technique before
we can augment the data holdings in the UW stream.

Tom