20000724: GINI image display in -X 7.612

>From: Patrick Dills <address@hidden>

Patrick,

>I have just updated our MCIDAS-X 7.6 release to include the GINI
>configuration but am not sure how to display GINI files I've saved locally
>from a NOAAPORT feed and copied to my local /mcidas/data directory.
>
>Any and all help would be much appreciated.

The process of being able to display local GINI images in Unidata McIDAS
is composed of:

1) creation of an ADDE dataset for the imagery
2) setting the names of the different types of imagery in the dataset
3) describing the dataset to McIDAS
4) specifying the location of the dataset to your McIDAS-X session(s)

1) Creation of an ADDE dataset for the imagery

- decide on the name you want to call your dataset

  If your GINI imagery is "realtime" (i.e., current), then I suggest
  you adopt the same name that I use for the Unidata configuration,
  RTGINI (Real Time GINI).  If your imagery is not realtime (e.g., it
  is historic data), I would recommend that you name the dataset
  something else.  For instance, if the set of images represents
  images taken during a particular weather event, you should name
  the dataset after the event so that its name will mean something
  to users.

  You can call your dataset anything you want subject to the limitation
  that the dataset name must be less than or equal to 12 characters in
  length.

  For purposes of illustration, let's assume that your images are realtime,
  so we will call the dataset RTGINI.

2) Setting the names of the different types of images in the dataset

- It will be best for the users of the dataset if the different types
  of "things" (images in this case) in the dataset have names that will
  inform the user what they contain.  The GINI imagery in NOAAPORT
  are fixed sectors that lend themselves to particular naming.  Here is
  what I chose for the NOAAPORT images:

  GAN8KIR     - GINI 8 km 10.7 um Alaska National
  GAN8KVIS    - GINI 8 km VIS Alaska National
  GAN8KWV     - GINI 8 km WV Alaska National
  GAR16KWV    - GINI 16 km WV Alaska Regional
  GAR2KVIS    - GINI 2 km VIS Alaska Regional
  GAR8K12     - GINI 8 km 12.0 um Alaska Regional
  GAR8K39     - GINI 8 km 3.9 um Alaska Regional
  GAR8KIR     - GINI 8 km 10.7 um Alaska Regional
  GE1KVIS     - GINI 1 km VIS East CONUS
  GE4K12      - GINI 4 km 12.0 um East CONUS
  GE4K39      - GINI 4 km 3.9 um East CONUS
  GE4KIR      - GINI 4 km 10.7 um East CONUS
  GE8KWV      - GINI 8 km WV East CONUS
  GHN14KIR    - GINI 14 km IR Hawaii National
  GHN14KVIS   - GINI 14 km VIS Hawaii National
  GHN14KWV    - GINI 14 km WV Hawaii National
  GHR1KVIS    - GINI 1 km VIS Hawaii Regional
  GHR4K12     - GINI 4 km 12.0 Hawaii Regional
  GHR4K39     - GINI 4 km 3.9 um Hawaii Regional
  GHR4KIR     - GINI 4 km 10.7 um Hawaii Regional
  GHR8KWV     - GINI 8 km WV Hawaii Regional
  GMC24KIR    - GINI 24 km 10.7 um Mult-Composite
  GMC24KVIS   - GINI 24 km VIS Mult-Composite
  GMC24KWV    - GINI 24 km WV Mult-Composite
  GNC24K12    - GINI 24 km 12.0 um Nhem-Composite
  GNC24K39    - GINI 24 km 3.9 um Nhem-Composite
  GNC24KIR    - GINI 24 km 10.7 um Nhem-Composite
  GNC24KVIS   - GINI 24 km VIS Nhem-Composite
  GNC24KWV    - GINI 24 km WV Nhem-Composite
  GPN8KIR     - GINI 8 km 10.7 um Puerto Rico National
  GPN8KVIS    - GINI 8 km VIS Puerto Rico National
  GPN8KWV     - GINI 8 km WV Puerto Rico National
  GPR1KVIS    - GINI 1 km VIS Puerto Rico Regional
  GPR4K12     - GINI 4 km 12.0 um Puerto Rico Regional
  GPR4K39     - GINI 4 km 3.9 um Puerto Rico Regional
  GPR4KIR     - GINI 4 km 10.7 um Puerto Rico Regional
  GPR8KWV     - GINI 8 km WV Puerto Rico Regional
  GSN8K12     - GINI 8 km 12.0 um Super-National
  GSN8K39     - GINI 8 km 3.9 um Super-National
  GSN8KCTP    - GINI 8 km Sounder Cloud Top Pressure
  GSN8KIR     - GINI 8 km 10.7 um Super-National
  GSN8KLI     - GINI 8 km Sounder Lifted Index
  GSN8KPW     - GINI 8 km Sounder Precipitable Water
  GSN8KSFCT   - GINI 8 km Sounder SFC Skin Temperature
  GSN8KVIS    - GINI 8 km VIS Super-National
  GSN8KWV     - GINI 8 km WV Super-National
  GW1KVIS     - GINI 1 km VIS West CONUS
  GW4K12      - GINI 4 km 12.0 um West CONUS
  GW4K39      - GINI 4 km 3.9 um West CONUS
  GW4KIR      - GINI 4 km 10.7 um West CONUS
  GW8KWV      - GINI 8 km WV West CONUS

  The names of the elements of a dataset can be anything you want subject
  to the limitation that they are less than or equal to 12 characters AND
  the combination of the dataset and dataset element names be less than
  or equal to 23 characters.

- Defining the contents and location of the various elements of the dataset

  This is done by making a copy of and editing the example GINI configuration
  file provided in the Unidata McIDAS-X distribution.  This file should
  get installed in the ~mcidas/workdata directory and is named GINI.CFG.
  You should make a local copy of this file and keep it in the
  ~mcidas/workdata directory.  For sake of argument, let's call this copy
  GINICOMET.CFG

  Three items are specified in the local copy of GINI.CFG (or its local copy):

  DIRMASK -  regular expression that describes the directory in which the
             dataset elements can be found

  FILEMASK - regular expression that describes the name of the image files
             in the dataset

  IPMASK   - regular expression for the set of machines (IP addresses)
             that will be allowed to access the elements in the dataset

  If all of the images in a dataset are of the same type, these three
  flags are sufficient to define access to the files.

  An example of this that would match your images could be:

  DIRMASK=/mcidas/data
  FILEMASK=*
  IPMASK=*

  Note, however, that a specification of the FILEMASK as '*' would
  force the server to open each file in the directory to see if
  it was a file of the appropriate type.  This is NOT advisable.
  What is more likely is that elements of the dataset have an
  identifiable name base or suffix, something like:

  FILEMASK=*.goesEvis1km

  In the case of datasets like the set of all GINI images in NOAAPORT,
  these three parameters are not sufficient to specify the images in a
  unique manner.  In this case, one can override these settings with
  ones that are specific to the type of each image.  The format for
  the override settings is:

  <type>_DIR  - regular expression for the directory location of
                elements of the specified type

  <type>_FILE - regular expression for an element of the dataset of
                the specified type (TYPE <-> name of dataset element)

  <type>_MASK - regular expression for machines allowed to access dataset
                elements of the specified type

  Only one of these extended forms may be needed to identify the elements
  of a particular type in a dataset.  In your example, you note that your
  images can all be found in the directory '/mcidas/data'.  Also, you may
  want to allow all machines to access the data, so your IPMASK could stay
  at '*' (everything).  The names of the different types of elements of
  the dataset could be very different.  These might look like:

  DIRMASK=/mcidas/data
  FILE_MASK=*
  IPMASK=*

  GAN8KVIS_FILE=*_ganvi.sat
  GAN8KIR_FILE=*_gani11.sat
  GAN8KWV_FILE=*_ganwv.sat

  GAR2KVIS_FILE=*_gakvi.sat
  GAR8K39_FILE=*_gaki3.sat
  GAR8KIR_FILE=*_gaki11.sat
  GAR8K12_FILE=*_gaki12.sat
  GAR16KWV_FILE=*_gakwv.sat

  etc.

  By the way, lines that begin with a '#' in the configuration file are
  treated as comments.

3) Describing the dataset to McIDAS

  You tell McIDAS what the contents of a dataset are by use of
  the DSSERVE command.  You run one of these commands for each dataset
  name/element pair that are to be defined for the dataset.  In the
  DSSERVE command line, you will have to tell McIDAS to read the contents
  of the dataset definition file whose elements were presented in the
  last step.  Here are a set of examples:

  DSSERVE ADD RTGINI/GAN8KVIS GINI 1 9999 TYPE=IMAGE INFO=GINICOMET.CFG "GINI 8
km 10.7 um Alaska National
  DSSERVE ADD RTGINI/GAN8KVIS GINI 1 9999 TYPE=IMAGE INFO=GINICOMET.CFG "GINI 8
km VIS Alaska National
  DSSERVE ADD RTGINI/GAN8KWV  GINI 1 9999 TYPE=IMAGE INFO=GINICOMET.CFG "GINI 8
km WV Alaska National
  DSSERVE ADD RTGINI/GAR16KWV GINI 1 9999 TYPE=IMAGE INFO=GINICOMET.CFG "GINI
16 km WV Alaska National
  DSSERVE ADD RTGINI/GAR2KVIS GINI 1 9999 TYPE=IMAGE INFO=GINICOMET.CFG "GINI 2
km VIS Alaska National
  DSSERVE ADD RTGINI/GAR8K12  GINI 1 9999 TYPE=IMAGE INFO=GINICOMET.CFG "GINI 8
km 12.0 um Alaska National
  DSSERVE ADD RTGINI/GAR8K39  GINI 1 9999 TYPE=IMAGE INFO=GINICOMET.CFG "GINI 8
km 3.9 um Alaska National
  DSSERVE ADD RTGINI/GAR8KIR  GINI 1 9999 TYPE=IMAGE INFO=GINICOMET.CFG "GINI 8
km 10.7 um Alaska National

  etc.

  To simplify the process, I included a McIDAS BATCH file named GINIADDE.BAT
  in Unidata McIDAS.  You should make a local copy of GINIADDE.BAT, which is
  installed in the ~mcidas/data directory, edited the copy to match your
  setup.  The entries in the copy, let's call it GINICOMET.BAT, would be
  used to tell McIDAS about the dataset with:

  BATCH GINICOMET.BAT

  If the dataset is to be accessed as local data (as opposed to everyone
  going to a remote ADDE server), then each user would need to run this
  BATCH command AND the local copy of GINI.CFG would need to be located
  in a directory in the user's MCPATH.

4) Specifying the location of the dataset to your McIDAS-X session(s)

  Each user needs to tell his/her McIDAS session where to go to find
  the dataset and its elements.  This could be any machine accessible
  by TCP/IP ethernet that is running a McIDAS remote ADDE server,
  or it could be the local machine if the data file(s) that comprise the
  dataset are locally accessible.  In your case this would be done by:

  BATCH GINICOMET.BAT
  DATALOC ADD RTGINI LOCAL-DATA

  after each user has verified that s/he has access to the files in
  the '/mcidas/data' directory.

  If you setup one machine to host a McDAS remote ADDE server, the
  datafiles would not have to be accessible locally, and the user's
  configuration would be much simplier:

  DATALOC ADD RTGINI fully_qualified_name_of_ADDE_server_machine

All of the above might seem complicated until you do it once, then it
becomes pretty simple.  Again, to make setup easier, two different files
have been included in the Unidata McIDAS distribution:

GINI.CFG     - define dataset elements locations, names, and access privilege
GINIADDE.BAT - define each dataset element to McIDAS

Please let me know if the above is not clear enough and/or if you need
help in setting up your dataset and dataset access.

Tom Yoksas

>From address@hidden Tue Jul 25 22:35:48 2000
>Subject: Re: 20000724: GINI image display in -X 7.612

Success, and we're now displaying and manipulating GINI case
imagery in -X.  Many thanks for the tips Tom !

Patrick