19991122: Running McIDAS and McIDAS-XCD on OSF/1 (cont.)

>From: Erick Lorenz (address@hidden) <address@hidden>

Erick,

>I am still running Linux 5.2.  The PC managers are after me to upgrade
>as they feel stifled by not having 6.0 or 6.1.  I remember that you
>said that you had installed McIDAS under 6.0 but I didn't find out how
>the issues were resolved.

I had to update three files in the McIDAS distribution in order to build
on RedHat 6.0/6.1 Linux.  I have included the updated files in a
new McIDAS distribution file and in the Addenda file:

directory: unix/760
McIDAS distribution: mcidasx760.tar.Z

directory unix/760/bugfix
addenda file: mcupdate.tar.Z

You installation can be updated by:

o login as 'mcidas'
o cd mcidas7.6/update
o ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
  <user>
  <pass>
  binary
  cd unix/760/bugfix
  get mcupdate.tar.Z
  quit

  ./mcunpack
o cd ../src
o make all
o make install.all

>Do you think I could upgrade the Linux without having to reinstall McIDAS?

McIDAS will probably have to be recompiled since the shared C library
gets changed in 6.0/6.1.

>Anyway I still can't launch the Fkey menu with more than 8 bit color.

This seemed to change under 6.0, but I have not been able to verify that
this is generally true.  It works on our RedHat 6.0 systems, but I
havn't gotten back information from any other sites.

>and when I do the colors go crazy when I move the mouse over different
>windows.

This is telling us that the McIDAS image window is coming up with its
own private color map.

>As of today I can only display imagery with the MCGUI.
>With the Fkeys I can plot surface obs, upper obs, and Skew-Ts but I cannot
>plot cross sections which is what the current instructor would dearly
>love to do in class.

Had the data come in for the various point source data?

>I have also tried some of the example commands
>for xsect without success.   For instance if I use IDN= I get a message
>that the given station IDs can't be found.

Can I get a login to the DEC so I can peek?

>Thanks for any ideas

Tom