19991116: Function Key Mappings (cont.)

>From: Michael Sands <address@hidden>

Mike,

>   Thanks for the help. The procedure you suggested worked for all the keys
>except the Alt-F4 key combination which still kills the window.

This tells me that the dropdown menu for a window still contains the
Alt-F4 key combination for a Close action; true?  If so, this must be
removed from the window menu.  This can be done either by using the
editor mentioned in the online documentation (URL sent earlier) or
by editing dtwmrc by hand and deleting the Alt<Key>F4 sequence from the
"Close" action line.

The instructions in the URL we sent previously came from SSEC.  Before
they provided these, I attacked the problem independently and came up
with the following modifications:

o edit .Xdefaults and set

  Dtwm*WindowMenu:    DtwmWindowMenu

o edit .dt/dtwmrc and end up with the following:

###
#
# Key Bindings Description
#
###

Keys DtKeyBindings
{

#   Alt<Key>Menu        root|icon|window    f.toggle_frontpanel

    Shift<Key>Escape        icon|window     f.post_wmenu
    Alt<Key>space       icon|window     f.post_wmenu
    Alt<Key>Tab     root|icon|window    f.next_key
    Alt Shift<Key>Tab       root|icon|window    f.prev_key
    Alt<Key>Escape      root|icon|window    f.next_key
    Alt Shift<Key>Escape    root|icon|window    f.prev_key
    Alt<Key>Down        root|icon|window    f.circle_down
    Alt<Key>Up          root|icon|window    f.circle_up
    Alt Ctrl Shift<Key>exclam   root|icon|window    f.set_behavior
#    Alt<Key>F6         window          f.next_key transient
#    Alt Shift<Key>F6       window          f.prev_key transient
    <Key>SunFront               ifkey|icon|window       f.raise_lower
    <Key>SunOpen                ifkey|window            f.minimize
    <Key>SunOpen                ifkey|icon              f.normalize
#   Ctrl<Key>L2         ifkey|window        f.next_cmap
    Ctrl<Key>L4         ifkey|window        f.prev_cmap

###
#
# Defaults:   Window menus, key bindings, and mouse button bindings
#
###

Menu DtwmWindowMenu
{
    "Restore"   _R  f.normalize
    "Move"  _M  f.move
    "Size"  _S  f.resize
    "Minimize"  _n  f.minimize
    "Maximize"  _x  f.maximize
    "Lower" _L  f.lower
    no-label    f.separator
    "Close" _C  f.kill
}

My method removes all references to keyboard shortcuts for the window
menus, so I don't have the Alt<Key>F4 problem that you are reporting.

>I also noticed
>that the edited dtwmrc file has to be in the .dt/en_US folder. If you are using
>any other language set like C -- POSIX or something else it doesn't recognize
>the edited file in the folder such as .dt/C.

I have not run into this here.  My modified dtwmrc file lives in .dt.

Tom Yoksas