19991122: Building UNIDATA McIDAS-X 7.60 no vendor option on makelog (cont.)

>From: Rene Lobato <address@hidden>

Rene,

>I think that you tried to logon on saturday, for some reasons that we don't
>really understand we have to turn off most of the equipment. As I thought
>that you would not be  working on weekends I did so. From now on I will
>leave the computer on.

OK, thanks.  I do work on a number of weekends in situations like this.
The net is likely to be less congested, so remote logins are usually
less painful.

>I think that the easiest way for you to login into my computer is by trying
>the IP address, I don't really know why sometimes if I try to login by
>using the hostname it doesn't work. I have complained this with the
>administrator of our network but no answer after all.

I have seen some strange things with the name/IP address correspondence
in my attempts to get to your machine.

>Thanks again.

>From: Rene Lobato <rlobato@200.13.36.34>
>Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 10:42:38 -0600
>
>I've been told that internally we have the IP (172.16.4.68) but if someone
>wants to login from outside, we have an IP for the external world of
>(200.13.36.105), indeed the hostname is: cumulus.imta.mx.

I am finally able to ping this machine through the IP address, but I can
not successfully telnet to it.  To be specific, the following work:

ping 200.13.36.105
telnet 200.13.36.105 25

but the following does not work:

telnet 200.13.36.105

Can you verify with your system administrator that I should be able to
telnet to 200.13.36.105?  The fact that I can telnet to the sendmail
port (25) shows that getting to your machine is not always a problem.
The fact that a simple telnet won't complete indicates that telnet
may not be enabled to the 105 IP address.

I am sorry that this is taking so much time and effort.  As soon as I
can login, I should be able to build and install McIDAS in a couple
of hours.

>See ya !!

Talk to you soon...

Tom

>From address@hidden  Mon Nov 29 07:22:44 1999

Tom,
I was not in my office from last wednesday and this morning I read your
e-mail. I will go trough it and come back to you, I hope with good news.

Sincerely,
René