19991008: McIDAS installation help?

>From: Gilbert Sebenste <address@hidden>

Gilbert,

>This looks like a little more than I can chew on right now. Can you help
>with thge installation?

Reluctantly, yes.

>I hate to do it, but I will gladly volunteer to be
>an ADDE server backup site. I do not have any altered or customized
>colorbanks, etc on my system, so there is no need to back it up.

OK.

>If you need to get in right away and do a look-see, the machine it is to
>be installed on is weather.admin.niu.edu. Telnet there and use:
>
>Feel free to stomp on 7.40. I have Linux Redhat 6.0. 6.1 is reportedly
>very buggy (came out yesterday), and I am holding off on doing the
>installation of that. Weather is a dual PII 450 MHZ processor, so it is
>speedy.
>
>What do I need to do to get it installed from you, or to make it easy
>to do so?

The first thing that I saw was that you had not installed f2c, f2c.h, or
libf2c.  I did see a /usr/local/include/f2c.h and a dangling link
for libf2c.a:  /usr/local/lib/libf2c.a -> /usr/lib/libf2c.a.  The
file /usr/lib/libf2c.a does not exist.

Since these must be installed as 'root', and since the McIDAS remote
ADDE server needs tob be installed as 'root', you have two options:

o give me root access
o do the root installation stuff yourself

I FTPed mcidasx760.tar.Z, mcinstall, and mcinet7.6.sh today and then found
that f2c was missing.  Since f2c is needed for the build (g77 does not
work), I am at an impasse.

Tom