19991011: 7.60 MCGUI failure in plotting upper air THETA, THETA-E (cont.)

>From: alan anderson <address@hidden>

Alan,

I fixed the problem in upcguiprocs.tcl that was causing the problems you
reported on Friday.  I put out a new update for McIDAS-X 7.60 that contains
this and other changes.  The update file, mcupdate.tar.Z, can be found
in the unix/760/bugfix directory of our passworded McIDAS FTP account
on our FTP server, ftp.unidata.ucar.edu.

If you only want to update upcguiprocs.tcl, you should:

<login as 'mcidas'>
cd mcidas7.6/update
ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
 <user>
 <pass>
 cd unix/760/bugfix
 binary
 get mcupdate.tar.Z
 quit
zcat mcupdate.tar.Z | tar xvf - ../src/upcguiprocs.tcl
rm ~/bin/upcguiprocs.tcl
ln upcguiprocs.tcl ~/bin/upcguiprocs.tcl

This change will need to be made on all machines on which you have
McIDAS-X installed.

The update also contains a newly changed version of UNIDATA.MNU.  The
changes I made in it allow one to use the AVN GRID files created by XCD
in the global initialization menu, and to use the XCD-produced NGM or
ETA grids in the North American grid menu.  The changes needed in ones
setup to use the new feature are simple:  you only need to change the
definition of ?MODEL1 and ?MODEL2 in the user's session:

TE ?MODEL1 "RTGRIDS/NGM
TE ?MODEL2 "RTGRIDS/AVN

These changes need to be made for all user sessions, and the changes
need to be made in the UNIMENU.DEF file that each user may have in
his/her McIDAS working directory.  Again, the UNIDATA.MNU mods allow
one to use XCD-produced AVN, NGM, or ETA GRID files.  If you are not
producing these with your XCD installation, then the changes to the
Fkey menu won't have any affect.  I will provide more of a blow-by-blow
if you are interested.

For reference, all modifications made to the McIDAS distribution are
documented in the online Addenda page:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/mcidas/mcx/addenda.html

Tom