19991011: Installing McIDAS and LDM on Irix 6.5 (cont.)

>From: Erick Lorenz (address@hidden) <address@hidden>

Sheri and Erick,

I realize that Erick will be gone until the 18, so I will direct my questions/
comments to Sheri.

After Erick's message last Friday in which he gave me mcidas and ldm
login to atm12, I decided to check in and take a look at why ldmadmin
was hanging on startup of the LDM.  I found that the system logging daemon,
syslogd, is not running on atm12.  I believe that this is causing
the ldmadmin hang that Erick reported.  Since syslogd needs to be started
as 'root', and since I don't have root privilege on atm12, someone
there needs to start this.

I do know that syslogd had to be running in the past since the file
/var/adm/oSYSLOG is not zero length.  The contents of oSYSLOG lead
me to believe that the LDM installation on atm12 is either not complete,
or there is some other problem.  The LDM useses syslogd to put messages
in its log file, ~ldm/logs/ldmd.log.  Since syslogd is not running,
ldmd.log is not getting updated.  ldmadmin is waiting to see some evidence
that the LDM is running before it will exit cleanly.  Since logging is
not occurring, ldmadmin will continue to wait forever.

Also, while looking around I saw that Erick apparently setup the LDM
scour utility to scour a variety of XCD data files, some of which
should never be scoured.  I took the liberty of commenting out the XCD
scouring stuff from ~ldm/etc/scour.conf.  I then setup scouring using
the McIDAS mcscour.sh script as per instructions in my McIDAS online
documentation.  This was done by a cron entry for the user 'mcidas'.
You can review what I did by:

<login as mcidas>
crontab -l
cd workdata
vi mcscour.sh

I believe that scouring should work correctly now, but I will look in
tomorrow to make sure.

The other thing that I noticed in poking around is that the imagery
from the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream are not getting updated.  I
believe that the machine that is processing these images is atm23.
At one point I had a login as both ldm and mcidas on atm23, but I
no longer have that information.  If I did, I could help you troubleshoot
the image ingestion problem(s) and get you rolling again.

Please let me know what additional assistance you would like me to
provide.

Tom Yoksas