19990727: MciDAS-X 7.50 F-key problem

>From: Zuo Dong Zheng <address@hidden>

Zuodong,

>when in the NCEP Forecast Grids window menu, (from the main menu press
>F3), the F-keys from F1-F8, no matter which one i press, it gives me this
>error message:
>String not Found: ?BKGMAP

The error you are reporting indicates that the menu definitions from the
file UNIMENU.DEF have not been read into the McIDAS string table before
you ran your menu invocation.  You can enter these values by:

o making sure that the user running the session has a copy of UNIMENU.DEF
  in his/her mcidas/data directory (workdata for the user 'mcidas')
o restoring the defaults from the McIDAS command line:

  TENTER "UNIMENU.DEF

>have any body else had same problem before?

After you have this setup, you will run into another problem: the GRID
files that were in the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream were removed on
July 1.  Since the Fkey menu GRID actions were specifically geared to those
files, they will fail.  I have put a module into the McIDAS-X 7.60
distribution (not released yet) that can create those data files from
GRID files decoded by XCD decoders.  Once you have 7.60, you will be able
to add a cron entry that will kickoff this routine and create the GRID
files needed by the Fkey menu.  Additionally, for the past several days,
I have been ADDEizing the Fkey menu for 7.60.

>any help is appreciated,

I would try to fix you up with the new module as a retrofit to your 7.50
installation, but I am totally consumed with preparations for the upcoming
McIDAS workshop; sorry.

>thanx
>ZuoDong Zheng

Tom

>From address@hidden  Wed Jul 28 08:37:35 1999
thank you very much.
zuodong

re: not time to fix you up with the new conversion module
>oh, i don't mean to ask you to login in to our machine and do
everything for us each time. we just need some hint, perhaps.

thanx