19990203: problems with McIdas OS/2

>From: address@hidden

David-

>Our linux problems have been resolved and it's receiving products and
>displaying fine.

I didn't realize you were having problems with that since we last talked.

>However, now we're having some problems with our old
>McIdas 0S/2 machine.  It's not receiving any updated products from our
>"server" linux machine.  The machine itself seems to be working fine
>including connecting to the network.   I've tried numerous times and it
>doesn't help.  What's most baffling is that when I check Window 4 it
>appears that new products are indeed being received and no obvious error
>messages appear.  But the display and the directories on this machine
>show no files being updated.  Meanwhile the linux machine is updating
>fine.  Any thoughts?  Could you possibly take a look at the OS/2 machine
>and see if there's anything obvious that I'm missing?
>(address@hidden).

Actually, your LDM system is mcidas.uww.edu and your OS/2 system
is now up208pc1.uww.edu.  I looked at both systems and it looks like
data have been flowing to both up to about 14Z.  However, when I logged
on it looked like there was no data coming from SUNY-Albany after that
time.  I made the necessary changes to your ldmd.conf files to start feeding
from UW-Madison instead of SUNY-Albany since this had not yet been done.
Data seems to be flowing from UW-Madison with no problems.  I also
put the filter in place for the NOAAPORT feed so that you are not
getting a lot of extraneous products.

>One thought...the clocks on the two machines may not be in sync (one
>hour off).  Is this a problem?  Seems obvious but I also seem to
>remember you (Don) setting it up this way on purpose.

The clock on the McIDAS-OS2 system is set to GMT and the time on the
other is set to be local time (CST).

However, to eliminate any possible problems in the future, can you
check with your campus networking people to see if they have a
time server set up for the campus that you can use to have the time
automatically set on your Linux box?  You will need the name and
IP address of the server.  Once you have that, we can configure the
automatic time daemon (xntpd).  If they don't have a campus server,
ask if they are using a remote server and if so, can you use that
one.

>Help...
>
>David
>
>P.S. Oh yeah, one more problem I'm having with the linux machine as a
>classroom display...I can't get the display window enlarged beyond about
>1/3 the size of the screen.  Is it possible to enlarge this to a
>full-size?  If so, how?  Otherwise, it's sort of useless as a classroom
>display (even when projected onto an overhead screen using a ceiling
>projector).  Thanks...

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking, but it looks like your
unix system is running in 1280x1024 display resolution.  So, if you
are running your McIDAS image windows in 640x480, it should take up one
quarter of the screen.  If you are running with the GUI, then I guess that
would be about a third of the screen. You have two options.  The first is to
make the image window bigger.  You can do this by changing the lines/elements
to be 600x800 in the configuration screen when you run "mcidas config".  If
you like this option, and want to make the change permanent, then you
should edit the file .mcidasrc in the home directory of the user you
are  using to display McIDAS (wxuser) and change the line:

-f 17

-f 17@600x800

Your other option is to use the maximize button on the GUI window control
bar (upper left corner) and once it is depressed, press Ctrl-Z in the image
window.  The image will then fill your entire window.  To resize it back,
press Ctrl-Z again.

Let us know if you have further questions.

Don Murray