[ldmMcidas #PCO-265078]: Compiling error with LDM-Mcidas 2004

Hi Trung,

re:
> I was having trouble when trying to install LDM-Mcidas 2004 on RHEL4. I
> attached to the email a copy of the 'make.out' so you could see what
> went wrong. Please help.

The 'make.out' lines that look like:

/usr/bin/gcc -o area2png alarm.o commonsubs.o imgsubs.o pngsubs.o rtesubs.o
area2png.o -L/home/ldm/ldm-6.6.2/lib -lldm -L/usr/
X11R6/lib -lX11 ../port/misc/libudport.a
-L/home/mcidas/mcidas2006b/netcdf/libsrc -lnetcdf -L../libpng -lpng -L../zlib
-lz
|| (rm -f area2png; exit 1)
../libpng/libpng.a(pngrtran.o)(.text+0xf2c): In function
`png_init_read_transformations':
: undefined reference to `pow'

indicate that libm.a is not being searched in the link step.  To force linking
against libm.a, you should do the following:

make distclean
export LD_MATH=-lm
configure
make

It is also possible that you may need to define some other environment
variables before running 'configure'.  The set of environment variable
definitions I use when building ldm-mcidas is:

CC=gcc
CFLAGS=-O
CPPFLAGS='-DNDEBUG -Df2cFortran'
CPP_LDM=-I/home/ldm/include
LD_LDM='-L/home/ldm/lib -lldm'
CPP_MCIDAS=-I/home/mcidas/inc
LD_MCIDAS='-L/home/mcidas/lib -lmcidas'
CPP_NETCDF=-I/home/mcidas/include
LD_NETCDF='-L/home/mcidas/lib -lnetcdf'
LD_X11=-L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11
LD_MATH=-lm
FC=g77
FFLAGS='-O -Wuninitialized -fno-automatic -ff90-intrinsics-hide'

Of course, your settings would need to be adjusted for the installation
locations of McIDAS, the LDM, and netCDF.  You will see from the list
above that I use the distribution of netCDF that is bundled with
McIDAS.

The other possibility is to see if you can use the prebuilt binary
for ldm-mcidas v2004.  You can grab this using anonymous FTP from
our FTP server as follows:

ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
  <user> anonymous
  <pass> address@hidden
  cd pub/binary/linux_2.6-i686
  binary
  get ldm-mcidas-2004.tar.Z
  quit

It is possible, however, that there might one or more shared libraries
needed by the ldm-mcidas binaries will not be found on your system
since the binary for the Linux 2.6 kernel was created on a Fedora Core
3 system.

Please let me know if the above helps.

Ticket ID: PCO-265078
Department: Support ldm-mcidas