[IDV #HKG-693378]: Adding New Data sources attempts - error message

Greetings Fred!

It looks like the issue you are having is that you are trying to view pictures
(e.g. .jpg files) of satellite data in the IDV, rather than the satellite data
itself. I would recommend grabbing the actual satellite data from the NOAA
CLASS website. CLASS can be a bit difficult to navigate, but it should give
you access to the data you need. You will need to register on their site to
be able to 'order' data, but it's free.

I'd start off checking out:

http://www.class.ncdc.noaa.gov/saa/products/catSearch

and maybe even more specifically:

http://www.class.ncdc.noaa.gov/saa/products/search?sub_id=0&datatype_family=GVAR_IMG&submit.x=18&submit.y=13

the products you order will be in AREA format by default, and the IDV can load
just fine :-)

Just be aware that some of the data are likely loaded off of a tape archive, so
sometimes it can take some time for your order to be processed.

Cheers!

Sean

> Full Name: Fred Schoeffler
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Operating System: Windows 7
> Hardware: Java: home: C:\Program Files\IDV_3.1\jre version: 1.6.0_31
> j3d:1.5.2 fcs (build4)
> Description of problem:
>
> Error opening url:file:c:/users/owner/pictures/new york peak
> fire2_2006-07-25-21_western us_300%.xcf
>
> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException
>
> Here's one of the error messges I get with the image I saved using GIMP
> Image Editor and attempted to open as attachment
>
> ******************
> Stack trace:
> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException
> at sun.net.www.ParseUtil.decode(Unknown Source)
> at sun.net.www.protocol.file.Handler.openConnection(Unknown Source)
> at sun.net.www.protocol.file.Handler.openConnection(Unknown Source)
> at java.net.URL.openConnection(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.JEditorPane.getStream(Unknown Source)
> at javax.swing.JEditorPane.setPage(Unknown Source)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.control.TextDisplayControl.processUrl(TextDisplayControl.java:1184)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.control.TextDisplayControl.processUrl(TextDisplayControl.java:1072)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.control.TextDisplayControl.doMakeContents(TextDisplayControl.java:489)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.control.DisplayControlImpl.doMakeWindow(DisplayControlImpl.java:4267)
> at
> ucar.unidata.idv.control.DisplayControlImpl.init(DisplayControlImpl.java:1170)
> at ucar.unidata.idv.ControlDescriptor.initControl(ControlDescriptor.java:986)
> at ucar.unidata.idv.ControlDescriptor$1.run(ControlDescriptor.java:911)

Ticket ID: HKG-693378
Department: Support IDV