[IDV #NUK-817580]: netCDF from McIDAS AREA & IDV

Hi Tyn-

(this will also be the answer to the similar question you sent
to support-thredds)

> Full Name: Valentijn Venus
> Email Address: address@hidden
> Package Version: 2.6a3 build date:2008-08-19 07:05 UTC
> Operating System: Linux
> Hardware: Java: home: /usr/lib/jvm/jre1.6.0_05 version: 1.6.0_05 j3d:1.5.2
> fcs (build4)
> Description of problem: I'm trying to catalog a MODIS Direct readout station,
> which produces McIDAS AREA files. Now, i 've been using the netCDF export
> function
> (read: DSSERVE to netCDF) in McIDAS.but the produced netCDF it is not
> CF-compliant.

Yes, it's a pretty ugly format.

> Any ideas how i should go about enhancing the data, latitude, and longitude
> variables in the example below:
>
> ftp://ftp.itc.nl/pub/venus/Venus-IDV/NETCDF0001.nc.zip

This file does not exist or has the wrong permissions.

> for THREDDS to be happy?

Are you trying to serve the AREA files up through the TDS or
trying to read them directly into the IDV?  If you put the
raw AREA files out there and you set the DataSource Type to
McIDAS Area Files in the catalog chooser, does it read them in?
Can you read the AREA files in from disk or from an ADDE server?

Don

Ticket ID: NUK-817580
Department: Support IDV